Took in for service and need input

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

coopstar55

1993 gtx , I took the carbs off and rebuilt them over last weekend. Had to take the intake off in the process to get the carbs off. When i put it all back together it would not turn over. just clunk! So finally gave up and took it into the shop. The shop says that the gear that turns the RV shaft is stripped and is binding it up! This ski ran fine, except for crap in the carb issues before the rebuild. Their fix is to get a new engine. Could this actually just happen? is there no other options besides a new engine or tearing the whole current engine down? Thanks in advance for any input,

yes, the cover was off. The RV even fell off too but, with using the cylinder gauge and a degree wheel we got the RV back on. We put everything back together and then the starter would not turn it over it would just make a clunk noise. The engine turned over(was not that hard to turn) when we were adjusting the rv. The ski started just fine before I did the carbs and knocked off the rv and put it back on. Any ideas? I just don't like the idea of buying a new motor if it does not need it.

is there a way of getting the rv shaft out without dissassembling the entire engine? As far as the manual goes there is not.

explain to me, how a brass gear, "stripped", can bind up a 7k revving motor? Aint buying it dude. And even so, you can remove the rv assy, without purchasing a new motor, like Bill said, its in the manual. Go get ur ski, and pull the carbs back off, and hit forum up to see whats goin on....also, inspect the "return" oil line, from motor, does it look like theres "sparkles" in the oil, if not, then your rv aint stripped/worn, or else, the sparkles would be indication that the brass gear is coming undone.

If you need a RV Shaft and New Gear i got one..

60 $$$$

I would think maybe something got dropped in there a bolt or washer..

You really don't have too take the motor apart to get the RV shaft out..

I made a Slide Hammer with a 6 mm Bolt at the end to pull the shaft out.. Then Clean the Camber in there with Carb Cleaner and Flush with Lots of 2 stroke oil..

matt

My .02

I just picked it up from the shop at lunch and they said the brass gear is binding up causing the rotating assembly not to turn freely. They stated the rotating assembly without the plugs in should turn effortlessly, is that true even with older skis? As stated, before I did the carbs I was out on the lake doing 40mph with no issues. Now I have a piece of paper from the shop stated the ski is not worth the repair! I will still have to pull the engine to get the rotary shaft out correct?

well not really but it is the best way...

i would pull the motor so you can see what is going on in there..

you can take out the Motor mounts and twist the engine so you have the carb side up and pull the RV shaft like that!!

But i still would pull the motor and Clean and Flush out all the old Brass what is left form the gear!

any more??

lets say, they're talk'n about the "gear" that drives the rv assy, which is metal, which would then turn a 'brass" gear, on the assy. If the metal gear, thats on the crank, can bind against a "brass" gear, causing it to lock up the entire motor, then why is it, that its always the "brass" gear gets stripped/destroyed, when it(brass gear) gets faulty from no oil, or, the rv shaft itself, becomes "not true", causing the brass gear, to strip away....?

They're full of Sh*#, pull the carbs again, removethe spark plugs, and turn the pto, see if its hard to turn, and also see if the rotory valve is turning at same time, your turning the pto.

FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! While taking the rotary cover off the o-ring was pinched in it. just probably did not notice it when i was putting it back together after the carb job.
But, the real issue is the seadoo dealer/mechanic said he took it all apart(obviously didn't) and it was without a doubt the brass gear. He said I might as well buy a new engine because no fixing that. Oh and he charged me 110 for that information.
I put a new $13 o-ring in and it fired right over! Just ran it on the lake at 40mph no issues. I am excited thats all it was but upset with the shop i took it to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back