Things to check for

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a 2006 Sportster with the 4-Tec 155 hp engine. What should I look at when inspecting the boat ? What are some of the problems I may find ?
What is normal compression for this engine ? Should it be checked cold at wide open throttle ? I've been told operating in weeds is a problem. Can they be ejected by running in reverse ? If not how can they be easily removed without taking the jet drive apart ? Thanks for any help you can be.

Check to see if the supercharger washers have been changed to stainless steel instead of ceramic .. they break up and can be costly.

Forward and reverse cable is known to corrode and break.. happen to me.. only 120hrs so a well used and lubed boat is sometimes better then one that's has very low hrs.

My 2 cents worth.

We just purchased ours 4 weeks ago and love it. Things I noticed....Make sure the battery is fully charged, and put a meter on it while running to be sure you have 14.0+ at the battery. Also little things like the drivers storage lid hatch, and hinge make sure there's no damage. Also check the engine compartment blower and bilge pump are working. Also there's a small clip that holds the ski pole in place, this is very important when tubing. Mine was missing the Clip ($25) and nearly shot the tube pole out! These lil items can add up quickly, trust me!

When you go to inspect, ask the seller NOT to run the engine before you get there. This way you know it starts right up with no major issues, and also ask the battery be fully charged. Always water test whenever possible!

Weeds will always be a problem, and try to avoid them whenever you can. If you notice you picked up some, shut the engine off for 1-2 mins and drift, most times they will float out. If you have picked up a lot, then get some place where you can jump out and clear them out by hand. Make sure only YOU have the only key on you!!! when reaching up in there! Worse case pull it on the trailer, clean it out and then go back in.

We went from a twin 2 stroke challenger to the sportster and LOVE it. Perfect for tubing!!!

Note: be very cautious when tubing or skiing with a rope, I got out rope wrapped around the shaft 8 times, and luckily there was no major damage!

Check to see if the supercharger washers have been changed to stainless steel instead of ceramic .. they break up and can be costly.

Forward and reverse cable is known to corrode and break.. happen to me.. only 120hrs so a well used and lubed boat is sometimes better then one that's has very low hrs.

My 2 cents worth.
Good info, thanks.

We just purchased ours 4 weeks ago and love it. Things I noticed....Make sure the battery is fully charged, and put a meter on it while running to be sure you have 14.0+ at the battery. Also little things like the drivers storage lid hatch, and hinge make sure there's no damage. Also check the engine compartment blower and bilge pump are working. Also there's a small clip that holds the ski pole in place, this is very important when tubing. Mine was missing the Clip ($25) and nearly shot the tube pole out! These lil items can add up quickly, trust me!

When you go to inspect, ask the seller NOT to run the engine before you get there. This way you know it starts right up with no major issues, and also ask the battery be fully charged. Always water test whenever possible!

Weeds will always be a problem, and try to avoid them whenever you can. If you notice you picked up some, shut the engine off for 1-2 mins and drift, most times they will float out. If you have picked up a lot, then get some place where you can jump out and clear them out by hand. Make sure only YOU have the only key on you!!! when reaching up in there! Worse case pull it on the trailer, clean it out and then go back in.

We went from a twin 2 stroke challenger to the sportster and LOVE it. Perfect for tubing!!!

Note: be very cautious when tubing or skiing with a rope, I got out rope wrapped around the shaft 8 times, and luckily there was no major damage!
How do you clean out the weeds, by reaching into the jet drive nozzle or cleaning them off the intake grate below the hull ? Would it help to install a screen between the intake grate & hull or would it affect performance ? Thanks for your tips, I appreciate it.

How do you clean out the weeds, by reaching into the jet drive nozzle or cleaning them off the intake grate below the hull ? Would it help to install a screen between the intake grate & hull or would it affect performance ? Thanks for your tips, I appreciate it.

What happens when the screen gets sucked in there? I just coast when I get in shallow with visible weeds.

Depending on your lake(s) weeds can be a problem. I have had my Sea Doo PWC in a couple very weedy Minnesota lakes and it is a problem causing cavitation.. Yes, many times you to have to reach under the boat to the intake grate to free everything up. Reaching into the jet nozzle won't work as you can reach far enough in to get to the obstruction. I personally have never had the reverse trick work, some say it works the problem is.... water is still getting sucked in the pump in the same direction even in reverse, it's simply redirecting the outflow of water, the pump in a jet boat is always pumping water even in neutral. If your in a very weedy lake I would not recommend a jet boat based on my experience. If your in a reasonably weed free lake your fine.

Not only would a screen over the intake possibly come loose and get sucked up it will likely starve you pump of water causing plenty of other issues. Best of luck!

Can the Sea Doo engine be run on land if hooked up to a water hose ? I assume there is a port to attach to. Where is it located ?
Will this damage the jet pump if run in this fashion or does it need to be hooked up to a hose as well ?

I run my skis w/o hose less than 15 seconds just to clear out any water when I'm in the staging section of the ramp area and then repeat when i get home
i think w/hose the manual recommends no more than 5 minutes? don't quote me on that though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back