The scary side to personal watercraft

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheflen

Was on my speedster today and I witnessed something that I have never seen before. A 94 XP blew up on this guy and burned completely. He told me he fell off of it and got back on and right after he started it it blew up. He said it was hard to start and not running right when it blew up. I do a lot of work on these, I’m not an expert for sure but I know my way around them pretty well. I just can’t fathom how this would happen. I was around the corner when it happened so I didn’t exactly see it go down. He said he didn’t smell any fuel before it exploded. I just don’t know what other precautions I can take to make sure this doesn’t happen. I always do new fuel lines on all skis.AC0DD97A-9E31-40D2-A293-4DD76A28D1DD.png

if it was hard to start, it must have had bad needles or his diaphragm was pressing down on the arm. This allows fuel to drip into the carb throat. If it turned over, it may have poured out into his hull. The vapors could have been ignited by an old leaky spark plug wire. Seadoo didn't make them replaceable. I've seen them arc before at night. Been shocked by them too a few times. Perfect recipe for disaster.

if it was hard to start, it must have had bad needles or his diaphragm was pressing down on the arm. This allows fuel to drip into the carb throat. If it turned over, it may have poured out into his hull. The vapors could have been ignited by an old leaky spark plug wire. Seadoo didn't make them replaceable. I've seen them arc before at night. Been shocked by them too a few times. Perfect recipe for disaster.
See that was the answer I was looking for. I understand how a leaky fuel line can make gas pour out, but I figured there was no way spark could ignite outside of the engine. A faulty spark plug wire could do it

Either that or a leaking gas tank. The X4's still have an active recall on the gas tank and Seadoo will replace them for free if they haven't been done.

As meticulous as I am I noticed mine finally developed a crack on the tank over the winter and was leaking gas into the hull on the first trip to the gas station this year. I already have an appointment to get mine replaced.

Either that or a leaking gas tank. The X4's still have an active recall on the gas tank and Seadoo will replace them for free if they haven't been done.

As meticulous as I am I noticed mine finally developed a crack on the tank over the winter and was leaking gas into the hull on the first trip to the gas station this year. I already have an appointment to get mine replaced.
I always look for that on mine too and for some reason I haven’t seen it on both of my x4s. I’ll have to get them replaced on both of mine when I get the chance. This was a 94 xp I’m not sure if it has the same tank as the x4s

My 96 has developed the leaking gas tank as well, on my first trip for the year last week was filling up and noticed a leak where filler hose clamps to tank opening - as my fuel gauge doesn't work I normally open the storage and take out the basket so I can see how much fuel I'm putting in by looking at side of tank. If my gauge had worked I wouldn't have noticed so thankful on one hand for the bad fuel gauge!

I've always had a slight smell of gas when opening the seat or storage area but had no leak at the tank before but I've talked to other Seadoo owners (90's machines) and they say they also have the light smell of gas but no leaks so wonder if this smell is normal for a 90's Seadoo/2 stroke?

I had a rag in the bilge to absorb water because we have to do an inspection for zebra mussels at my lake and if there’s any water in your bilge they won’t let you in.

So I saw the rag was soaked and wrung it out then realized it was soaking with gas, it was a lot.

While the fuel system should be fuel tight there is always a chance of fuel getting out of the carb through the jets and getting fumes into the hull. Always a good idea to pull the seat and check things before a ride.

Remember that if you have a battery with terminals on the motor side, and the battery isn't secured tight, a good bump will ground that positive terminal to the motor and give you all the sparks you need. At least on the 94 era/style design.

While the fuel system should be fuel tight there is always a chance of fuel getting out of the carb through the jets and getting fumes into the hull. Always a good idea to pull the seat and check things before a ride.

Remember that if you have a battery with terminals on the motor side, and the battery isn't secured tight, a good bump will ground that positive terminal to the motor and give you all the sparks you need. At least on the 94 era/style design.
That’s a very good point, that battery is also right behind the tank so that can be a big explosion waiting to happen. Spoke with the guy on the ski and he described the battery cables as “jank” so I’m sure the battery had a big chance of being the issue

When I first acquired,(given free as it wouldn’t run, gummed up carb from sitting with old gas), a ‘95 SPI, one of the posters here recommended I look into the leaky gas tank issue.
my daughter mentioned smelling gas, so I called the local dealer, gave them the HIN#. They said the tank had never been changed & to bring it in.
they mentioned I had been sent a memo, in 1996... it was now 2016. I said I was on a road trip, missed the memo.
I fully expected to have to pay for it after that time lag, but no. New tank, no charge for parts or labour.
Rare as these fires are, they a re the reason for the current regulations in Canada. If you are WEARING your PFD, you only need a a signalling device, whistle horn etc.
This allows you to bail, swim away, & let ‘er burn, probably surviving, even in colder water.
If you choose NOT to wear the PFD, you need all the equipment that a small craft requires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back