The biggest fish i've caught on the jet ski!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

GCjetski

A video of the biggest fish i've caught from the jet ski and some cool drone footage of schools of feeding fish

I watched your Biggest Fish on a Jetski video. That was some impressive bottom fishing.

Something else was of interest to me and that was your motoring out the channel. You seem to say the depth was about half a meter. By my reckoning that is about 20 inches. I am new to the PWC family and have heard 2-3 feet (1meter) was as shallow as one should operate these craft in. I would love to learn more about your experience with minimum depth and/or the special technique of operating in skinny water.

I watched your Biggest Fish on a Jetski video. That was some impressive bottom fishing.

Something else was of interest to me and that was your motoring out the channel. You seem to say the depth was about half a meter. By my reckoning that is about 20 inches. I am new to the PWC family and have heard 2-3 feet (1meter) was as shallow as one should operate these craft in. I would love to learn more about your experience with minimum depth and/or the special technique of operating in skinny water.

Squid, be careful in running the minimum depth of these machines. You can technically run in just inch's. But, your intake will suck up sand, and deposit it in and around your jugs. These are total loss cooling system jugs, and if that sand blocks those ports, then you can do damage to the motor. Disregard all that, if he's talking about the 4 stroke engines, it doesn't apply. Though, what does apply is running that sand through your impeller. Sand at those velocities, is like sand blasting, eating the metal of your impeller, a bit prematurely.

Welcome about squidly do right! As the name applies, I'm an Shellback Snipe!

Hey guys, yes it was very shallow, it was about 0.5m deep from my transducer (bottom of the hull) to the sea floor, probably about 0.8m from water surface to the bottom. In these kind of depths you will notice I was going no faster than idle speed, and being very cautious of any depth changes. I believe this will do no harm to anything because of the low engine speeds (not enough to pick anything up off the bottom, however if you gave it full throttle it likely would pick up shells/sand and start doing damage.

Thanks for the input guys. There are some upriver streams I wanted to explore for Rockfish, bass etc. Keep hearing tales about the Stripers up there at certain times of the year.

I own the 2013 GTS 130 and wondered if I could idle across some shallow areas less than 2ft. It appears that would be pushing my luck over a rocky/gravely bottom. I sort of miss the saltwater fishing of S. Florida, but not enough to put up with the Red Tide, hurricanes and & heat again.

Oh, until recently I sailed a design created by one from down your way, the F-31R (Ian Farrier), a real screamer when the wind pipes up to 15kts++.

de
Squid, be careful in running the minimum depth of these machines. You can technically run in just inch's. But, your intake will suck up sand, and deposit it in and around your jugs. These are total loss cooling system jugs, and if that sand blocks those ports, then you can do damage to the motor. Disregard all that, if he's talking about the 4 stroke engines, it doesn't apply. Though, what does apply is running that sand through your impeller. Sand at those velocities, is like sand blasting, eating the metal of your impeller, a bit prematurely.

deposit sediment in a closed loop cooling system? I'd like to know how that works

A 2010 gtx 155 is not a total loss cooling system.

de

deposit sediment in a closed loop cooling system? I'd like to know how that works
de

de

First, I don't believe I was referring to the 4-TEC engine, and in fact, in post #3, I actually say, "disregard all that, it doesn't apply to the 4 strokes"... I was replying to Psycho Sailor, who's profile shows he has the 951, 2 stroke. But, since you did bring it up, you are right, in a way. While the 4-TEC does not have an open cooling system, it does have an open system that uses seawater in the tuned exhaust. I can't tell you how many engines I've pulled apart, that were loaded with granules of sand. There are also orifices that have certain restrictions on how much water is being used, for instance in the engines resonance performance, where water regulators get stopped up with sand. I don't work much on the 4-TEC's, because I don't have B.U.D.S. software, and don't want it. I actually don't want anything to do with the 4-TEC, only because, if something happens to it, it's an arm and a leg to get it put on a computer at your local Seadoo shop. Last count I remember, there were 14 sensors on those engines, that have direct input into the ECU and MPEM. It only takes one of those sensors to put you in limp mode. My 787cc, in my GTX, only has 2 sensors, and neither of them will shut my motor down. And, since I get a top end of 63 mph out of it, I'm happy with the performance, and speed.

Don't get me wrong, I've rode the RXP and RXT, and they are some awesome fast, and high performance skis. I loved riding it, but I would never own it. For those people with the money to throw at one, then by all means, if that's what they want to do, then I'm behind them 100%; it's just not my cup of tea.

Riding within inch's of the bottom will also prematurely wear out your impeller too. Sand is very abrasive. Anytime you are shallow enough to pick it up, then you can bet, it will eventually cause you problems down the road. Like I said, my comment was in reference to someone who I thought might be an old Navy buddy, which is why I used the term "Squid" and "Shellback"... and he does have the 2 stroke. I was in no way implying that the 4-TEC had a TLCS. Have a nice ride, stay safe, and keep it right side up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back