temp sensor location and where to buy

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevejm35

Hi all,

I'm a new boat owner, of a "new to me" 2000 Challenger. I have read about my issue in a few threads, and I was going to start to try and diagnose it the best I can, though I'm a novice engine/motor guy. I have a very quick start up, though heavy oil smoke at start up. Runs right up to speed, no issues at all, smooth as I could as for, for a 19 year old boat. I can drive around for 15 minutes or so, and then we stop to jump in the lake, anchored. 30 minutes or so later, it just won't start. Plenty of cranking/trying, but just won't start. I opened up the engine compartment to look in (though I don't know what to really look for, especially out floating in the rocking boat), and tried a few more times. Once I sat down and looked on my phone for a bit, giving the engine time to rest, eventually, it started up. (Actually the moment it finally started, I put on the bilge blower and pump, but I think it was a coincidence. I had the compartment open for quite a while, and there was no visible water present).

Now, after that long winded story, I've read some posts here and elsewhere of others having this issue, that it could be one or both of the temp. sensors? Read a few that had exactly my problems, and it was a simple change. MY issue is that I can't find where these sensors are on my engine, nor where to buy them online, as I have seen so many different types for different engines.

I've attached my model number and serial number from the engine.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190803_192236.jpg
    20190803_192236.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 18
Is this a 2000 Challenger with the twin Rotax motors, or a Challenger 2000 with the Mercury engine?

Mercury. I actually found them on eBay after finding the engine schematic on the Mercury site . Hopefully I can change them and there's an improvement! If not, I've knocked it off the list!

Well just for the future, there is a separate forum section for the Mercury powered boats. You’ll get more responses from the guys that work on the Mercury boats specifically over there... It gets confusing especially with your particular boat since there is a 2000 Challenger with twin two strokes, and a Challenger 2000 with the Mercury...

UPDATE** Just noticed someone moved it to the correct section, thank you!!

Original message:
Actually, as I look up at the top of this thread, isn't this the "mercury powered seadoo sport boats" section?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back