Tdr powerspray waterbox 96xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brprxt215

So I have heard that these tdr water boxes decrease performance. How true is this and how noticeable is the performance change?

More than anything they just make more noise. I think most here that have tried them end up removing them because the sound just becomes an annoyance.

The change is slight but people point out the lack of gain because of the loud sound. Sometimes a little backpressure is a good thing performance wise, depends on a lot of things. The 97SPX is the best flowing and performing waterbox for the 787 X4. Old racers used to love the yami raider 760 waterbox's too. I've never seen one of those with a stock pipe though so I'm not certain it would fit.

The change is slight but people point out the lack of gain because of the loud sound. Sometimes a little backpressure is a good thing performance wise, depends on a lot of things. The 97SPX is the best flowing and performing waterbox for the 787 X4. Old racers used to love the yami raider 760 waterbox's too. I've never seen one of those with a stock pipe though so I'm not certain it would fit.
Anything you need to do to run the spx water box on the 96xp? Plug and play?

You just need to find one. It is getting more difficult because they are a 1 year waterbox. The difference is internal so they hook up and look like your 96’.

You just need to find one. It is getting more difficult because they are a 1 year waterbox. The difference is internal so they hook up and look like your 96’.
Good to know! Just curious. I've heard people rant and rave about em, just didn't know what was so good about them.

Yeah I was just looking for the noise without hurting performance. What gains does the 97 spx water box gain? No noise?

No it has a little bit of a deeper tone but not a night and day difference in sound. They probably won't add too much by themselves but every little bit of rpm helps.

If you have welding skills you can open up the stock waterbox, remove some baffles, and then seal it back up to get that offensive sound.

I had a TDR box for my XP it lasted a total of about a half hour on the lake. Pulled it, put the stock one back in and sold the TDR the next week. It was too loud and I actually thought I lost a bit of low end.

I was "that guy" 20 years ago. I had a Factory Pipe on my 95XP with a TDR behind it and I sounded like a swarm of giant killer bees from hell coming up the river. I thought it was awesome back then and honestly it was just not considerate or appropriate.

I grew up though and realized somewhere along the way that I didn't need any help getting noticed. These days I usually stop and stop the riders behind me for canoers and tube floaters yet there is a couple in every group making an ugly face or even waving their arms around. I just smile and try not to make eye contact while thinking how lucky they are that it wasn't the 23 year old me lol.

I have always heard that any of the spx 800 boxes were better than 96xp’s waterbox. Is there any difference in 97-99 spx water boxes other than color? I looked on hlsm and found they have same part number. Is it possible it is a superceded part for all 800 spx’s?

No the 97 waterboxes are different. There is better flow there for sure and they are constructed differently internally as well. Most 97 waterboxes are better then all other versions that look like them. The "holy grail" part is the 97HX waterbox worth at least $250. It's a legal advantage in Stock Spec racing because it's a OEM part. I felt weird asking 250 for mine but it sold quickly.

All X4 787 boxes are different inside actually. The 95 XP800 has more back pressure then the 96. Those first two have a bad rap because baffles will break loose and clog the flow up. It was especially bad on skis used in salt water. The problem is hard to track down because that baffle will stay out of harms way sometimes and then clog the hole randomly. I have a pile of purple one and I always shake them to make sure there is no rattle.

In 98 BRP started reacting to PWC noise complaints. That's why the 98-99 SPX's have the exhaust outlet facing the pump instead of straight out the back. Tech's complained cause now they had sooty hands all the time lol.

Is it possible there was a design change mid 98 because i have one out of a 98spx that is grey and the outlet is same as a 96 and 97.

Is it possible there was a design change mid 98? I have one out of a 98spx thats grey and has same outlet as a 96.

Oddly enough I found one of these elusive 97 white Spx waterboxes and it's on its way. :)

Oddly enough I found one of these elusive 97 white Spx waterboxes and it's on its way. :)

It must have come off of a 97SPX. Ebay sellers think since just because the pump seal(or any other common part like a fuel filter) fits "XP, GTX, GSX, GTI, SPX, etc." then the waterbox does also. White waterboxes from any other ski will not fit in the X4 hull.

I sell them for 90 shipped if others are hunting in the future and I have those old torpedo looking Yamaha boxes out of X4 race skis also.

It must have come off of a 97SPX. Ebay sellers think since just because the pump seal(or any other common part like a fuel filter) fits "XP, GTX, GSX, GTI, SPX, etc." then the waterbox does also. White waterboxes from any other ski will not fit in the X4 hull.

I sell them for 90 shipped if others are hunting in the future and I have those old torpedo looking Yamaha boxes out of X4 race skis also.
I got mine for $80 shipped. Good to hear that's a decent price.
cfe8803911091fcdeab1a6cfc5f1d81f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back