Taking on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don L

I put my seadoo 180 SP boat in the water and I noticed bilge pump was running and pumping water. This ran all day pumping water and I couldn't find where it was coming in. Could the seal around impeller shaft be faulty? Does anyone have any Ideas or know of this happening before? Thanks

back your boat down the ramp when it's not busy and while still attached to trailer, but floating, check the carbon ring with your hand (boat not running). You'll know if the boot or seal is trashed if it's leaking.

If it's not leaking when sitting in water, then I'd take it for a run with a buddy and see if the seal is leaking with a load on it.

If that doesn't show signs of the leak, you could put the hose in the bilge with the boat on the trailer in the driveway and get under the boat and look for water dripping.

Some models were known to leak at the seams where the 2 halves where mated together.

To narrow it down a little you can hand check the temp of the water in the hull.
If the water in your hull is warmer than the lake it's leaking after it cooled the engine
and if it's as cold as the lake then it's leaking into the hull before it cooled the engine.

The leaking is occurring while the boat is just sitting there, motor not running. Put the boat in and took it out next day after I noticed the leak. Where is this carbon ring?

You should try what JPass said... With the boat level or a little low on the rear just run the garden hose in the rear and you should find the leak fairly easily.

The carbon ring and bellows is at the rear of the motor where the driveshaft meets the motor. You'll see the pump tunnel as well.

Attachments

• 20170108_135418.jpg
    20170108_135418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Filled the bilge up with water and no leak so its not carbon ring. Going to put boat in water and look around the boat

Filled the bilge up with water and no leak so its not carbon ring. Going to put boat in water and look around the boat

That doesn't rule out the carbon ring yet. It does rule out that the bellows doesn't have any large holes and any through hull fittings/hardware are not leaking.

The carbon seal needs to be tested under load, in the water. Keep searching. While running the boat and checking the carbon ring, I'd also check all hoses and fittings to make sure nothing is leaking at a connection or clamp.

The water was coming onboard with the boat just sitting at the dock I check the bellows and it looked good>Will put the boat in water and look for leaks

If it's taking on water just sitting in the water then you have an issue with a through hull or maybe the seam where the two halves of the hull are joined. I had some water coming through where the intake grate bolts came into the bilge. They were covered with some sealant, but I noticed these areas were wet. So I removed the original sealant and resealed them.

You're going to need to make sure the hull is dry and then sit the boat in the water and start looking and listening for water coming in.

Good luck.

To narrow it down a little you can hand check the temp of the water in the hull.
If the water in your hull is warmer than the lake it's leaking after it cooled the engine
and if it's as cold as the lake then it's leaking into the hull before it cooled the engine.
Please elaborate on this. Specifically if hot water part. What are all of the possibilities it could be if the water is hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back