Swivel seal for steering cable

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneh

I'm having a problem with my steering and I think it's fairly common even though I can't find much detail. Please let me know if you can enlighten me.

After the steering cable exits the transom, it passes through a joint covered by a rubber boot about 1/2" in diameter, then through a tube about 8" long to the wiper and finally to the steering assembly. My rubber boot slips off the boat side of the tube. This exposes the flexible cable and tends to interfere with steering. I believe a left turn may not happen and a right turn gets accentuated, but don't quote me – it might be the reverse.

There is a detent ring on the tube exiting the transom and I've tried double cable ties to act like hose clamps to hold the rubber boot from slipping off that detent, but it never lasts long. I'm wondering how this arrangement is supposed to work, since it seems impossibly flimsy to ever be reliable. Maybe there is something broken and I don't realize it? If anyone wants a picture to see what I'm talking about, just ask.

So the question is: Do I need a new steering cable or the much cheaper "swivel seal"? Neither are easy to find but a few are out there.

My boat: 2001 Challenger
Steering cable part no.: 204390144
Swivel seal: 277000440
Diagram: 2001 Sea-Doo Challenger, 5699 Steering System | Fox Powersports Sea-Doo Partshouse

I should add that my cable slides pretty easily and my cable-tie fix works fine in my driveway. But it never survives an outing on the water. My cable is a bit bent in the area of the problem but not excessively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back