Swapping flywheels

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

H2Ologged

The used GTX 1996 787 carbureted, wore out it's flywheel.
1. Ordered a stock , carbed, Flywheel for 96 787
2. I pulled the engine.
3. Open up Magneto cover. Whooop,,,,, there it is!
4. Pulled off the Flywheel of a RFI model unit. (teeth were bad)
5. Start putting on the Stock carbed flywheel, and it's not wanting to go on all the way.
6. I researched all the bearings, shims, oil seals, of both types of Crankshafts. (carbed 96 and RFI 1998)(they match)
7. Question !! Is the crankshaft, (under the flywheel) of different sizes for the different Flywheels? (or there is something else I'm missing, which is usually the case)
Thanks ahead for input on this strange matter.

the taper is different, you cannot swap those around.
Edit: I think I misread, I was picturing you trying to put the whole RFI flywheel on a Carb crank.

are you having issues with the mag cup?

Last edited:
So, I'm a little confused?

You have a carbed 1996 787.
You ordered a stock carbed flywheel.
Then started to put on a stock carbed flywheel.

Where does this RFI flywheel come into play?

Last edited:
Edit: I think I misread, I was picturing you trying to put the whole RFI flywheel on a Carb crank. The taper sounds like that would be the issue. I bet the guy put in a rfi crank cause it fit and then he had to put the rfi flywheel. but he had to Grind some of the touching support ribs on the block just inside of the flywheel to block area. When I tryed,,,, it felt like the taper or something was off. the Flywheel even rocked back and forth sideways.

Edit: I think I misread, I was picturing you trying to put the whole RFI flywheel on a Carb crank. This is the way I found it. Yep this is a doosie. the engine works fine , just I hate to but another rfi flywheel but,,, if it fits and works,,,

It charged and cleared before,,,, but you have a good point that it could compromise the fit

So, I'm a little confused?

You have a crabed 1996 787.
You ordered a stock carbed flywheel.
Then started to put on a stock carbed flywheel.

Where does this RFI flywheel come into play?
Yep. This is a Crabed engine. The RFI flywheel was on it when i opened it. Looks like the crank is a rfi crank with the proper tapered fitting for the rfi flywheel. I looked on line for all the bearings and shims and oil seals and they both all match. I'm thinking that it's the taper for the flywheel that is different and has to match to the proper crank design. Yes you and I were both confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back