Suggestions on what Seadoo to purchase?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrevorM

Well it is bittersweet moment but I have sold my 2001 Seadoo GTX. It was a fun watercraft; however, I wanted to sell it to have extra money and to save up for a newer Seadoo in the near future. I am wanting to get away from 2-strokes and I want a 4-stroke. I really prefer to have a smaller Seadoo than the GTX and I want something more smaller, nibble, playful, and potentially fast!

The two models I am sorta deciding on is either a new Seadoo Spark Trixx as the Spark is smaller, nibble, light and playful. However, the Spark is slow so I have also been thinking about maybe a used RXP as they are smaller, nibble, and fast. I have heard to stay away from certain models such as 04-07 because of supercharger and exhaust valve issues and 09-11 because of IBR/iControl issues. So the two options is either a Seadoo Spark Trixx or an 08 Seadoo RXP.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Honestly the newer seadoo 4-stokes are not super super reliable. Just do some searching here.
The biggest issue with the Spark is it is slow. Even coming from your GTX, 45 mph is pathetic.

Smaller. nimble and playful doesn't go well with 4-stroke.

Honestly the newer seadoo 4-stokes are not super super reliable. Just do some searching here.
The biggest issue with the Spark is it is slow. Even coming from your GTX, 45 mph is pathetic.

Smaller. nimble and playful doesn't go well with 4-stroke.

Well my old 2001 Seadoo GTX did 55mph easy. I thought the sparks were reliable? Also I’ve been looking on here and everyone just keeps saying stay away from 04-07 because of supercharger (ceramic washers) and bad exhaust valves. I heard the Seadoo Spark Trixx (90hp) could reach 50mph? What would you personally recommend without breaking the bank?

The higher output Spark will do 50. There are a lot of issues with the sparks also if you look in the Spark section of this forum.

Unfortunately I just don't feel that Seadoo has kept up their quality control. I feel the Yamaha is much better but they don't really have anything that fits your criteria.

If you want new and 4-stroke the Spark is probably the way to go but make sure you get an extended warranty because it sounds like they do have issues.

Well I want a newer one than my old 2001 2 stroke... I also like the Spark because my 2001 GTX used gas like crazy! I am looking at this 2008 Seadoo RXP 155 w/ 100hrs. I read somewhere on here that said the 155 engines were pretty reliable? Reliability is a big concern of mine as well!

Everything your saying tells me you probably would be happy with the spark, get the one with the most HP and like Mikidymac said with any ski an extended warranty is a good idea. With hundreds of hours on my Sea Doos i've never had any problems...I don't beat the crap out of them so that may help..One thing though, if you do buy a Spark don,t get on one of the newer SC skis afterwards... :cool::D

Everything your saying tells me you probably would be happy with the spark, get the one with the most HP and like Mikidymac said with any ski an extended warranty is a good idea. With hundreds of hours on my Sea Doos i've never had any problems...I don't beat the crap out of them so that may help..One thing though, if you do buy a Spark don,t get on one of the newer SC skis afterwards... :cool::D

Honestly if I bought a spark I’d get the Trixx as it is the 90HP with VTS. I like the idea of the Spark being small and light where you can throw it around. But I do hate the top speed as I like to go fast once in awhile! I’d love an RXP but I can’t afford a new RXP or really any other new Seadoo for that matter lol!

Also I don’t understand what people are talking about with the reliability issue with the sparks. I live around Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and tons of rental companies are using Sparks and I’ve seen some sparks with over 400 hours... I know the early models had handlebar recalls but other than that I haven’t really heard anything else.

I have a GTI 90 with lots of features (same engine as Spark) and really, I do not always understand the "need for speed" expressed by so many. The GTI 90 does about 43 mph (probably a bit more for a lightweight person) and I am satisfied with it. I have been on this forum for four years now and the most issues I see with 4 strokes are with supercharged models or earlier 4 strokes. So far (knock on wood), my GTI 90 has been flawless mechanically.

The more complex the engine, the more likely something will go wrong down the line and this should also be a factor when selecting a new machine. There are also "assembling" issues with the new models unfortunately. Mine had a cover paint issue that was rapidly fixed. The most issues I read about the Spark is with the VTS system and a few persons that literally broke them as if they are not made solid enough (like the handlebar).

I think the GTI 90 is a compromise between the Spark and a bigger Sea-Doo. My Sea-Doo is a full fledged Sea-Doo in size but has the engine and the polymer hull of a Spark. I read I could reprogram it with "Maptune" and push it to about 50 but I am not even interested. 43 mph is plenty for me despite the fact that my lake is large. I will just get to my destination a couple minutes later.

Otherwise and personally and short of buying a GTI 90, I would stick with a GTI 130 (but you will pay $2,000.00 more for the extra 10 mph).

I have to admit I am a speed freak but I also like the idea of the Spark as you can man handle them! If the Spark could hit 55-60 I’d probably buy one instantly! I know the Riva Stage 3 kit can get it to 53 but for $1600 which is a lot of money for 3mph... I don’t think I’d be satisfied with a GTI 90 as my 2001 Seadoo GTX did 55+ I feel like the GTI would feel so sluggish/boring to me.

The failures is mostly the electrical like trim and ibr failures and on the sparks stripping the splines on the PTO. If I remember correctly the early ones you have to replace the entire crankshaft.

Only reason I ever thought of buying a new doo is just for warranty, rode a 90hp repitched spark and was a blast.

Simple and fun 2strokes stay with me, and cant be them for the price.

The failures is mostly the electrical like trim and ibr failures and on the sparks stripping the splines on the PTO. If I remember correctly the early ones you have to replace the entire crankshaft.

The splines problem are from 2014-2015 models 2016+ have been improved. Through my research I have come across this information. I’d like 2-strokes more if I was more mechanically inclined hell the dealership here won’t even work on 2-strokes! I use to want an 951 XP but again I’m not mechanically inclined and 2-strokes are gas guzzlers! Also I wanted to travel potentially and ride in different bodies of water and some places have ban 2-strokes...

Also if IBR/VTS are causing reliability issues maybe I should find a cheap used 2016+ Seadoo Spark 60HP which doesn’t have the IBR or VTS. I can just throw a RIVA Stage 3 Kit on it and be running 53+mph.

Last edited:
BTW, the carry weight of a Spark is much less than a "full-fledged" Sea-Doo. Mine is something like 600+ pounds for three people while I believe the Spark is around 450 pounds (2 or 3 passengers depending on the model). If carrying passengers is an important thing, then stay away from the Spark.

Buy a 2007 to 2010 GTI SE 155 HP. You get 55+mph (I can hit 58 mph on smooth water at 225lbs) which I hear are faster than new models and you get bullet proof reliability. No IBR or trim settings to repair and maintain. You just ride and enjoy - change oil and plugs and you are good. Not a small light machine, but still nimble enough to have fun. You can ride 3 up or pull tubes and skiers if ever needed. Look for one that has been well cared for and you will thank me later. Seriously.

Well it is bittersweet moment but I have sold my 2001 Seadoo GTX. It was a fun watercraft; however, I wanted to sell it to have extra money and to save up for a newer Seadoo in the near future. I am wanting to get away from 2-strokes and I want a 4-stroke. I really prefer to have a smaller Seadoo than the GTX and I want something more smaller, nibble, playful, and potentially fast!

The two models I am sorta deciding on is either a new Seadoo Spark Trixx as the Spark is smaller, nibble, light and playful. However, the Spark is slow so I have also been thinking about maybe a used RXP as they are smaller, nibble, and fast. I have heard to stay away from certain models such as 04-07 because of supercharger and exhaust valve issues and 09-11 because of IBR/iControl issues. So the two options is either a Seadoo Spark Trixx or an 08 Seadoo RXP.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Spline just failed on my 2018 Sea-Doo GTI SE with 15 hrs, so don't buy this model.

In 2003 I bought a brand new car. Two weeks later the check engine light came on.

Turned out the issue was a faulty vacuum hose. It was replaced under warranty by Ford.

Forward in 2019 I still have that car and it is probably the most reliable I ever bought. Yes, it had a few mechanical issues but it is normal over the years.

Doesn’t mean that one issue makes the whole line unreliable. I do admit that BRP has an assembly quality issue though.

IMG_0679.JPG

Last edited:
Well, if you want solid reliability, buy a boat with outboard engine(s) :)

So far in the season, and I get more newer 2017-2018 Seadoo's in with problems than the previous 4tecs.
If I have to buy again, I go for 2012-2014 RXT, solid with little problems. The 2010 / 2011 require more attention as the jet pump is attached to the ride plate. They used to chew shaft splines but with the upgraded "old" shaft design AND an EXACT alignment absolute no issues anymore. IBR... They fail and are costly to fix so look for one with the updated IBR. Superchargers... Without SC life is boring :) SC are simple devices but so many people ignore this thing. Keep it maintained, take it out every season and inspect, the kits are cheap and the replacement of bearings and friction rings is very easy with the proper tools, still see a lot of people assembling them wrong. If unsure better pay a professional to do it.
What I learned is that the weakness on all Seadoo's is the alignment as the main root cause of mechanical issues. All the ski's I service are driven on the sea and some like jumping waves so they eat motor mounts, but I showed these guys to be aware of it - and replace them before they get broken.

There was a time that Yamaha was rock solid but the newer Yamaha's seem to suffer from similar issues as the newer Seadoo's. The older Yamaha's 2000- 2015 are very solid when well maintained.

A good tip, if you go buy a second hand, if the ski looks like Sh*T, 99,99% sure the rest is sh*t too as it tells how the owner took care of his baby :) And buying cheap means always you get what you pay for.
Oh, 10 year old ski's with 14 hours, run as fast as you can if it did not bring joy to the owner it will only bring pain to you. If the ski would be fun to drive she would have collected some hours and not being ignored somewhere :)

No, I have my own yacht service company, hobby wise PWC and take care of my friend's PWC's. Limited dealer service in South Korea so I sort it out myself.

Well, if you want solid reliability, buy a boat with outboard engine(s) :)

So far in the season, and I get more newer 2017-2018 Seadoo's in with problems than the previous 4tecs.
If I have to buy again, I go for 2012-2014 RXT, solid with little problems. The 2010 / 2011 require more attention as the jet pump is attached to the ride plate. They used to chew shaft splines but with the upgraded "old" shaft design AND an EXACT alignment absolute no issues anymore. IBR... They fail and are costly to fix so look for one with the updated IBR. Superchargers... Without SC life is boring :) SC are simple devices but so many people ignore this thing. Keep it maintained, take it out every season and inspect, the kits are cheap and the replacement of bearings and friction rings is very easy with the proper tools, still see a lot of people assembling them wrong. If unsure better pay a professional to do it.
What I learned is that the weakness on all Seadoo's is the alignment as the main root cause of mechanical issues. All the ski's I service are driven on the sea and some like jumping waves so they eat motor mounts, but I showed these guys to be aware of it - and replace them before they get broken.

There was a time that Yamaha was rock solid but the newer Yamaha's seem to suffer from similar issues as the newer Seadoo's. The older Yamaha's 2000- 2015 are very solid when well maintained.

A good tip, if you go buy a second hand, if the ski looks like Sh*T, 99,99% sure the rest is sh*t too as it tells how the owner took care of his baby :) And buying cheap means always you get what you pay for.
Oh, 10 year old ski's with 14 hours, run as fast as you can if it did not bring joy to the owner it will only bring pain to you. If the ski would be fun to drive she would have collected some hours and not being ignored somewhere :)

Hey Rickky I noticed you recommended 2012-2014 RXT. I’m looking at a 2015 RXP-X 260 isn’t that basically the same as the 2012-2014 RXT?

RXT is a three seater, XP two seat. Different hulls also

Sorry. Yes I know the RXT is a three seater and RXP is a two seater. I was more referring to the internals being the same and overall reliability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back