Sucked up cast net through intake grate on Fish Pro.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DYNAZOR

So I just went out for the 4th time on my new Fish Pro and my cast net got sucked up through though the intake grate and wrapped around the drive shaft; engine was at idle and immediately stalled. I knew enough to not try to start the engine until I saw what's what. Back at my garage, after cutting away the stuff that was still outside of the grate I tried to remove the grate. It's held in by 3 bolts that appeared to be interference fit (i.e. VERY TIGHT THREAD) or secured with lock-tite. 2 bolts came out OK, the third (the one towards the front) was so tight the head broke off. OK, so the broken bolt is another headache to deal with, but now the grate still wouldn't come off, it feels like its glued in and I didn't want to try some type of wedge and hammer to break it loose, fearing I would cause more damage.

***Is the grate held in with some type of epoxy or other adhesive?***

Disheartened, I brought the ski to the dealer I bought it from to let them handle the problem (and collect the $$$).
But I'm still curious to know hw to remove the grate the next time something gets wrapped around the shaft.

I can't wait to see what the dealer finds out and how much its going to cost me.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 58
Most of us don’t remove the grate we just start cutting and pulling. Usually takes about an hour. Although that’s the first cast net I have seen get sucked up usually tow ropes.

agree with above- i can't count how many tow ropes I've sucked up- even sucked up a beach towel floating just beneath the water. i would either roll the ski over in the water and try to pull it out or get it on a trailer and start cutting it out with a long bread knife & pliers. i never considered removing the grate.

Damn, that ski has dingleberries.....looks like the floats got sucked into the impeller as they got past the grate....that's not going to be fun to unravel.....

I don't think the grate is held on with anything but maybe some sealant around the bolt holes that might have squeezed between the grate and the hull....I've taken a Spark apart and the grate came off pretty easy once the bolts were removed and I was able to pry it off fairly easy.

This is kind of weird, this is the second story I hear in a week about the grate hard to remove or impossible to remove bolts (the other case was a stripped bolt). Aside from the stuff being stuffed there could be wear ring issues, even shaft bearing I was told for the other guy. The other guy also saw a reduction of speed by 3 mph on his ski. Maybe bringing it to the dealer wasn't a bad idea after all from what I can see.

Now to the morale of the story: never ever let anything go under your ski (except maybe for the things you really can't see). We have some fish boats around here and each time I see one, I immediately check if there's a fishing line around and I steer as far as I can from these boats. Some fishermen are also stupid enough to fish from the only narrow bridge where we cross two parts of our lake... So in the case of a Fish Pro, you have to be twice as careful! Wish I had that ski. Had it been available a few years back it may have attracted me too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back