Stuck at home, so I'm working on the boat! Need pointers for general maintenance.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Like most people I'm stuck at home until this "situation" blows over. I've decided to take up my time working on my Challenger 2000 and trailer!

So far I've completely re-wired the trailer with LEDs, re-packed the bearings, added bunk guide-ons to make launch/recovery easier, and put new stainless staples in the bunks. As far as the boat, I've fixed a bunch of small issues (broken latch, replaced broken plastic trim on dash, polished the gauges to get rid of oxidation, etc. I also replaced the spark plugs and vacuumed out the bilge.

My question and the reason for this thread is to ask what other general maintenance items should I take care of while I'm at it? Any advice is great! Hopefully they lift the lock down in MD soon so I can take her out on the water!

Hello,
You may want to do the maintenance on the pump. This includes changing the oil and inspection of the impeller. I have attached instructions I found many years ago on this forum which are easy to follow and includes a list of everything you will need. I found all the materials required on eBay and less the impeller it set me back a approximately hundred bucks.
Mike

Attachments

• sjannualservicev1.1_190.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
Hello,
You may want to do the maintenance on the pump. This includes changing the oil and inspection of the impeller. I have attached instructions I found many years ago on this forum which are easy to follow and includes a list of everything you will need. I found all the materials required on eBay and less the impeller it set me back a approximately hundred bucks.
Mike
Thanks! I think I can get the bottom 2 drain/vent ports open to change that gear lube but I'm afraid to try and take apart the jet pump any further to do the stator as the previous owner did not have the best maintenance habits and the bolts are somewhat corroded. That said I picked up this boat for an absolute steal.

My biggest fear is I'm going to break a bolt that I can't replace or take out. Any advice on helping with the corrosion (besides penetrating lubricant)?

Seriously grinds my gears (pun intended) to see how people buy expensive toys only to not take care of them. I don't understand that mindset, I've always done ALL maintenance on my vehicles and boat and guess what? I've never broken down in anything or even gotten a flat!!! (knocks on wood) Lol.

i just did a set of how to videos on taking out the control handle and rebuilding it and putting new lube in and putting it back in the boat. i'm going to post it on the threads here if any one is intrested

Thanks! I think I can get the bottom 2 drain/vent ports open to change that gear lube but I'm afraid to try and take apart the jet pump any further to do the stator as the previous owner did not have the best maintenance habits and the bolts are somewhat corroded. That said I picked up this boat for an absolute steal.

My biggest fear is I'm going to break a bolt that I can't replace or take out. Any advice on helping with the corrosion (besides penetrating lubricant)?

Seriously grinds my gears (pun intended) to see how people buy expensive toys only to not take care of them. I don't understand that mindset, I've always done ALL maintenance on my vehicles and boat and guess what? I've never broken down in anything or even gotten a flat!!! (knocks on wood) Lol.
I was also nervous when I took mine apart. My boat is a 2000 Challenger 1800 and the service that was done on mine was far from professional. My pump screws were also visibly corroded and had never been removed but the loc-tite/grease put on during initial assembly kept the internal threads in good shape and corrosion free. I used penetrating oil on all of them, let them sit, and gently went clockwise/counter clockwise with the screws to get them to free up with no issues. Then I chased all of the threads with the correct tap and re-assembled per the instructions. I had found that water had gotten into the impeller bearings and was glad that I had checked them and replaced the seals and oil before something major happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back