Stratford, CT

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Finchy

Hi, I'm looking into getting a Jet-ski within the next few weeks but have no clue regarding CT laws, boat licenses, where to launch etc etc. I see there's a few people on here who ride in Milford and Stratford so was after some advice.

I take it need to do a DMV style 'turn up for a few hours' boating course, which is fine but is their any other legal matters I need to know about?

Also what's the deal with launching. Do I just turn up at the beach? Is there a ramp or something, and if so do I need to pay to use it? etc etc. Being CT I'm expecting it to be a bit of a hassle.

Sorry for all the question, but I just wanna know the rules before I part with $12000.

Thanks in advance.

Well you need to have a valid registration and to obtain this you need to have a bill of sale and the previous owners reg. Make sure you have a bill of sale for the ski and the trailer because the CT DMV requires this.

You will also need to take a boating course to obtain you license, this can be done in a one day weekend class, I took mine at Cabelas and I think it was about $100.00

Some boat ramps do charge a fee depending on where you are launching. I'm in eastern CT and I only have to pay at one ramp and that's in E.Hartford on CT River, everywhere else I go its free, make sure you know what your are doing at the launch before hand because ppl can be very impatient, there is something called dock etiquette. Let me know if you have any other questions:cheers:

Brian

Thanks for your help. I managed to find a ramp which is 5 minutes from my apartment and its like $30 for the permit. I can do the course locally too and the trip to the DMV will no doubt be as fun as usual. Thanks once again.

Hey guys, my sisters down in Stamford, is there anywhere close to launch and ride, she lives right downtown but it'd be fun to take the skis out and about.

Hey, I'm very close to Stamford, I'm in Norwalk and I launch out of Norwalk or Westport. Westport is free for all.

Alex!

How about stand up riding? Is there anywhere huge boats are or is it a long way out of a no wake zone, I'll probably be down there early fall and figured shes 5 minutes from the sound why not go.

here is where you can get the boaters guide for CT. It actually has a lot of helpful info in it, including launches. http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2686&Q=322292 you will probably get one if you take the course. I took mine in westbrook a few years ago, it was about 100$ for everything. It was a one day course on a saturday and was from 9am-3ish. good luck

You can take an approved course online for 30 bucks. When you complete it and pass the test you pay and then print out a temp card. They mail you the permanent card in like a week.

You can google boat safety course and find the sites.

We took ours at boat-ed.com

This is from their website

"All course content has been developed in conjunction with the state boating safety agencies responsible for boater education, are approved by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA), and are recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard."

Back