steering cable 2001 utopia 205

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhighdiver

HELP PLEASE
2002 utopia 205
Ok got my steering cable changed 5 hrs. Out 1hr back in bought this tool which made a world of difference on getting to the rear cable nut tight up by pump
crows%20foot%20wrench.jpg
Found directions on adjusting the rear cable on the nozzle end but could not find anything on the front end by wheel. I just guest then went to the rear centered steering wheel and nozzle and adjusted at the rear
The nozzle moves the same amount each way but the steering wheel turns almost a ¼ turn more to the right than the left even though when wheel is centered the nozzle is centered also the neutral power assist did not work to the left. As the little pegs did not hit as the swing arm hits rubber stopper before they can touch
I did make the peg longer and got this working but need to pull wheel tight to left against rubber stop to get working seems like I need to adjust cable at wheel end but unsure of what to do as if I make it longer the pegs still cannot touch as the rubber stop will not let it go any further and if I was to center the swing arm between the two stops then hook up cable and have nozzle centered the wheel would not be in the straight driving formation.
I will see how it drives tomorrow and check back but would love any help here!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.... Before I start.... this is a form. All we have are our words. Your post is VERY hard to read, since the majority of it, is a run-on sentence. There is minimal punctuation, and it needs to be broken into paragraphs, to help break thoughts. I don't expect members to be "PhD Scholars"... but at 6:30 am, and not enough coffee in my system... it's dang near impossible to really decipher what you are saying.

So please, in the future... use punctuation.

Now... as far as I can tell... your wheel and nozzle are centered, but your steering box isn't. It could be that a previous owner took the wheel off, and didn't put it on center... or the gear box is off by a tooth. Depending on the wheel you have... you can remove the Allan bolts from the hub, and just rotate it, and put it back on, to center the box. That will also center the throttle assist.

Sorry for the long sentence, as you see the time I posted I was worn out. Worked in garage for 4 hrs. 98 degrees and 84% humidity, trying to get this boat back to ready for Labor Day weekend. I also typed on word and pasted it here. I see it just puts it down as one run on sentence

The problem is I put the cable on with the wheel centered and then adjusted the nozzle to center.
But later when the power turn assist only worked turning right. I looked closer and noticed the triangle piece(41) the cable connects to at the wheel ,is not centered when the wheel is centered.
f.jpg

I can fix this buy pulling the wheel as you stated. I can Center the wheel with the triangle(41) and then redo the rear nozzle.

However when the wheel is turned to the left all the way it hits the rubber stop now and does not yet turn on the power assist .Adjusting the cable longer at the wheel end will not make it go any further as it already hits the stopper.

So I am confused especially when the wheel turns to the right almost 1/2 turn and to the left only 1/4 turn. Is this normal

ok after taking a check out run at the lake all seems to work ok drives straight turns so easy now . Old cable must have been binding since I got it .
But still strange that wheel turns so much farther right than left

So I am confused especially when the wheel turns to the right almost 1/2 turn and to the left only 1/4 turn. Is this normal

No... it's not normal. The wheel is offset to the steering box. So... that needs centered first. Then the steering cable can be re-adjusted... and so can the throttle assist cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back