Sportster 4 tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

delonnelj

Howdy. I regularly fix sea doos. Specifically 4 tec. I'm making this post so that anyone experiencing these symptoms can have a reference. Customer had his Sportster in the shop for four months and the boat shop could not figure out the issue. The issue was the boat would pass 38-40 mph. In this instance the spark plug closest to the transom was not firing. To keep the story short the plug was replaced and all was well.

Oddly enough the ski idled fine and did not miss a beat as you accelerated. Getting on plane and then settle at 38 mph.

Hope this helps with your path to troubleshooting your 4tec engine.

Last edited:
Howdy. I regularly fix sea doos. Specifically 4 tec. I'm making this post so that anyone experiencing these symptoms can have a reference. Customer had his Sportster in the shop for four months and the boat shop could not figure out the issue. The issue was the boat would pass 38-40 mph. In this instance the spark plug closest to the transom was not firing. To keep the story short the plug was replaced and all was well.

Oddly enough the ski idled fine and did not miss a beat as you accelerated. Getting on plane and then settle at 38 mph.

Hope this helps with your path to troubleshooting your 4tec engine.
Thanks ! I have a confusing issue ?
Replaced the fuel pump about 3 months
Ago and have not run my 4trc sportser
215 due to being off island
Where stored. NOW red battery light comes
On after 30 seconds Alarm sounds once
Boat starts to run rough at 2000 rpm after
1 to 2 minutes running ?
If left to run spark plugs carbon up !
Like the air/fuel mixture is too rich ?

Volts are ok 12,8 and rectifier puts out 14 vdc
At 2000 rpm !

Is there a sensor that regulates fuel
Mixture or fuel pressure regulator on top
Of fuel pump housing letting in to
Much pressure ?

The alarm and red battery light
A symptom of a fuel issue or
Just some other parameters
Out of wack ? ?

Also weird when the starter button
That kills the engine is pushed
To shut off the engine
The RPM speeds up for a second
Before engine shuts off ?
Any help is appreciated

Interesting for sure. Logically it Sounds like a short or bad connection. Given the w the power button information. The engine speed is controlled by the throttle cable. So a spike in rpms makes me think the engine is thinking when it should be shitting down.this is common with carburetors because they have less intelligence vs F.I.
I could go on about Voltage regulator, rectifier, tops sensor, air intake sensor,. Throttle body sensor, clogged injector even a bad plug.

I'd first start by checking out the connections, wires, fuses, then move to cleaning components and then sensors.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back