Speedster 150 - Starter Removal

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwgsx

How hard is it to remove a starter from a Speedster 150? What has to be removed to reach the starter and how hard is it?

How hard is it to remove a starter from a Speedster 150? What has to be removed to reach the starter and how hard is it?
manual says not hard, then again i havent done it!!!
simple things always end up being harder..
Capture7777.JPG

It's easy. I did it already and was surprised how quick you can pull the starter. To re-install the starter it's a little bit tricky since the gearwheel has to find his way into the starter drive. The reason is you can't turn the whole starter assembly for find the right position. I was turning the starter gearwheel tooth by tooth until it was matching with the starter drive. Then it slides easily in his place.

I replaced on on my 200 Speedster and IT WAS A BITCH!
took rear seat bucket out and worked lying down on floor with arm thru bucket hole.

BEWARE THE UNFINISHED FIBERGLASS NEEDLES OF THE HULL!!!! went right up under a fingernail like bamboo torture devices.

O I hope its easy since its the 150. I owned a 200 and I couldnt imagine working on the starter. Had a hell of a time just getting the exhaust manifold off bc there just was no room on either side to work.

Exactly. Located under the exhaust manifold. I am not embarrassed to say that I needed both switched out last year, and I had my mechanic do it. Two engines, no room, and your body sticking out while your head is twisted to see under the manifold... Not fun...

Side note: I was advised to order OEM. I was told that the non-OEM starters begin to fail at the 3 year mark. The OEM's lasted 8 years. While your are in there, see if the power cables running to the starter are getting hard (non-plyable). It's a good time to switch them out, while you are at it.

I can imagine that on a 200 Speedster it isn't fun at all. At the Utopia 205 you just open the cover to the engine bay and you have a huge space for working and you can also lie on the back seats. As for the small glass fibers needles you're right. Some of the Seadoo boats have inside the hull a terrible finish and it's always a nightmare to install something inside the hull.
The 150 Speedster has plenty of space on both sides of the engine. The only bad thing is you have to bend yourself over the side wall of the engine bay. If you are not too tall it will be easier to stand inside ;-)

Just a update, removing the starter was super easy on the 150. Had to hang over the seats so your working with blood rushing to your head but it wasnt bad at all. Hardest part was getting it lined back up when re-installing. After about 6 tries it popped right in. Thanks for the tips :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back