Speedster 150 anchor suggestions?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwiktsi

Any suggestions for an anchor to use for my 150? I bought one from WalMart, but it is a 4 prong style and I think a Mushroom may be better as for storing it on the boat without causing damage. Also, what is a good method of/location for storing it so that it does not damage anything? I don't know how thick the hull is and thinking of it bouncing around in the ski storage area or engine compartment as well as on top of the compartment cover makes me kind of nervous. Any tips?

A Mushroom anchor will work if your in a sandy area. You need a section of chain and enough line for proper scope of the line being set. All these factors will determine what you need for an anchor. I have a really trick "anchor Bag that holds my Fluke anchor and line that is supplied from seadoo. It even says "Sea-Doo on it, with a velcro seal to keep it contained.

Karl

A Mushroom anchor will work if your in a sandy area. You need a section of chain and enough line for proper scope of the line being set. All these factors will determine what you need for an anchor. I have a really trick "anchor Bag that holds my Fluke anchor and line that is supplied from seadoo. It even says "Sea-Doo on it, with a velcro seal to keep it contained.

Karl

I'll have to look into that bag, but I don't even know where I'd put it though :confused:. I don't need it for much of anything- I'll be using it to hold the back of the boat steady when I tie the bow to shore when we pull up to one of the islands or something (it is all pebbles/gravel, so we can't just beach it here). It's a lake, so I don't have to worry about changing tides or anything either.

I figure the depth and have about 3 times the length. The mushroom anchor should be perfect, from Walmarts. Just have a snap hook on the end of the line for quick connect to anchor. Here's a idea...get one of those soft coolers with a nylon zipper to hold everything...it is padded, with a handle and won't hurt anything. Store it in the ski locker in the bottom. I have a shelf in my locker to set mine on.

I figure the depth and have about 3 times the length. The mushroom anchor should be perfect, from Walmarts. Just have a snap hook on the end of the line for quick connect to anchor. Here's a idea...get one of those soft coolers with a nylon zipper to hold everything...it is padded, with a handle and won't hurt anything. Store it in the ski locker in the bottom. I have a shelf in my locker to set mine on.

I thought about a soft cooler, but the ones at Walmart were too small for the anchor I bought there :(. I am thinking about returning it and getting a smaller mushroom anchor though. On this page- http://www.greenfieldproducts.com/gfp-products.htm it is the "River" anchor I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Save some cash and get the mushroom anchor. Check sams club, or Kmart...for coolers I find the cheap ones all over the place...here in the Sunshine state...oh yea, you remember..lol

Save some cash and get the mushroom anchor. Check sams club, or Kmart...for coolers I find the cheap ones all over the place...here in the Sunshine state...oh yea, you remember..lol

Yeah, I'll probably return it and get a mushroom. How heavy do you think I'll need? They have small 5# ones, that's probably too light, right?

Yeah, yeah- sunshine state.... Rub it in :(.

Hey Karl- have you heard anything about what top speed should be for this boat? I was told 60-65 by the salesman which I knew was off, I expected 50-55. Going by the speedometer, the most I can get is 52 with just me and 48-49 with 2 people. Does that seem right? Seems pretty slow for a lightweight 15' boat with 215 hp, no? Probably the difference between the outboards I am used to and the jet drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing the anchor debate myself at the moment for my '98 Speedster. I like the coating on the Greenfield products. The Walmart option is there as well for a low bucks solution.

I am sorta heading in the direction of a Greenfield Richter anchor. The Richter seem to be a good all around solution, and works (apparently) using a lower scope. One of my main lakes is Big Bear, and a popular area is China Point with about 65-70 feet of water. A reduced scope is attractive there so I don't end up needing 300' of rode.

Karl? Whazzup, bro? The hull damage comment was on my mind as well, honestly...

Joe, the speed seems reasonable till it gets broke-in...did you pass the 10 hour mark yet? I forget, who's boats did and didn't get to that point...I think that's a good thing. :ack: I also think the anchor or 5# is a little lite, if a current or wind picks up. Seriously check out the padded cooler bag...it will be a cheap way to prevent damage from bouncing.

anchors

I store my fluke type (danforth) anchor in between preserver vests in the back storage compartment of my speedster 150. I wrap it up in towels first, then put it between PFD's.

I must not have let it out enough (maybe 1.5 times the depth) this past weekend, because we were dragging a bit. Maybe it's not heavy enough, I'll have to look at the weight again (I thought it was 18 lbs. although it sure doesnt feel that heavy), but it was the first time I dropped anchor and am still learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back