Speedster 150 255 Water in Bilge

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacSeaDoo

I recently purchased a used 2011 SeaDoo Speedster 150 255 with 50 hours on it. I have had it out a couple of times and have noticed there is a fair amount of water in the bilge when only out for an hour or so. I am trying to figure out where it is coming from and looking for advice. Through all of this, I found out the automatic bilge function doesn't work, so periodically I pump it out. When I do pump it out, it is stupid hot. I figure this is because how low the block sits in the water. Some questions and comments:

1.. How much water should end up in the bilge? I can say that after an hour or so I have water touching the bottom of the block, which would seem like a couple of gallons.
2.. How often does your bilge pump run?
3.. When I bring it back nothing seems obvious, like spray or anything. Just water in the bilge.
4.. No one is swimming so it is not coming from people in the boat. I am also out there with family so not much in the way of craziness there, just boating.

My plan now is to go out alone with out the family and sit in the water to see if I can find it. Kind of a PITA because it runs so well and I want to enjoy it. I also may try mounting my GoPro in the engine compart with a light to take some video. Maybe I will see it.

Again, thoughts and experiences would be helpful.

Cheers,

There should be no water. You most likely have a cracked carbon seal. You can hear it come in of you listen to will be by you shaft near the engine. You'll also see it.

My 2006 Sportster does the same thing. Curious to see what you find. I tried running a bit last year with the engine lid open, and saw a bit of water spray in from the carbon seal when first taking off, but nothing after that. My water is hot too. Others have said that it could be an exhaust leak too. I think I may replace the carbon seal to see if it fixes it.

There should be no water. You most likely have a cracked carbon seal. You can hear it come in of you listen to will be by you shaft near the engine. You'll also see it.
I am going to look for this when underway next. The boat has a new wear ring and carbon seal 5 hours of runtime ago. Unless they messed up installing it, I would find it hard to believe it is worn.

Update. I used the hose all around the rub rails so I have ruled out there as the point of water entry. I am going to run it today hopefully and get in the engine compartment. Like I said before the water is hot so that would likely be exhaust. I am hoping it is something simple as I don't want to have to rely on my bilge pump when underway.

My 2006 Sportster does the same thing. Curious to see what you find. I tried running a bit last year with the engine lid open, and saw a bit of water spray in from the carbon seal when first taking off, but nothing after that. My water is hot too. Others have said that it could be an exhaust leak too. I think I may replace the carbon seal to see if it fixes it.
I am trying to figure out if the water is hot because the engine block sits so low or it is actually exhaust. I will let you know what I find.

It will definitely be hot from either entry method. The third would be a leaky exchanger gasket, and fourth the reverse rod gasket.

I was out for the day with it and can't see where the water is coming from. I didn't spend a ton of time on it because I was having family fun with it.

I can confirm though for sure:

1.. The water in the bilge is hot, not warm, hot.
2.. The boat seems to be running well except the odd surge or slight bog in the throttle. (The tank was full when I bought it and was from last season so I am hoping that is that. She is empty after yesterday, so full new fuel today)

I can say, that the design of the engine placement is not ideal in this boat. If you fill it with water to the point where the auto bilge runs, the water is basically at the bottom of the supercharger housing. Even when the water is so low the bilge pump can't move it there is still a fair amount of water there basically touching the block.

I was out for the day with it and can't see where the water is coming from. I didn't spend a ton of time on it because I was having family fun with it.

2.. The boat seems to be running well except the odd surge or slight bog in the throttle. (The tank was full when I bought it and was from last season so I am hoping that is that. She is empty after yesterday, so full new fuel today)

I can say, that the design of the engine placement is not ideal in this boat. If you fill it with water to the point where the auto bilge runs, the water is basically at the bottom of the supercharger housing. Even when the water is so low the bilge pump can't move it there is still a fair amount of water there basically touching the block.

I have a 2012 Speedster 150. I only get water in it if it rains or I take water over the bow or sides. When it does bilge that water, it is definitely very hot. It always has been that way so I wouldn't focus on the water being hot. It comes from the bottom of the motor being in the water.

If it doesn't rain and I am not getting wave over the bow, I have very little water in the bilge. I would still think that it is your carbon seal leaking.

I have a 2012 Speedster 150. I only get water in it if it rains or I take water over the bow or sides. When it does bilge that water, it is definitely very hot. It always has been that way so I wouldn't focus on the water being hot. It comes from the bottom of the motor being in the water.

If it doesn't rain and I am not getting wave over the bow, I have very little water in the bilge. I would still think that it is your carbon seal leaking.
For the carbon seal, wou

Yes, I am thinking the same but want to confirm. I have not setup the go pro yet but that is my next step.

We are having a similar issue. Seems like the boat will drain 5 gallons of water at then end of the day, but the bilge never kicks on. Makes me wonder if our bilge is working....

How much water can be in the engine compartment before it would become an issue? We just bought our 2006 Sportster a week ago so we are clueless.

Hello,

Recently i had the same issue and after checking i found out that i have a leakage in 2 places:

The first leakage was from the steering cable and you can see in the attached photo, but after fixing that i found out that i have again a lot of water in the bilge and it was very hot water i had to bring a mechanical and we didn't find any leakage then i had to try again the boat in the sea and after that i had to open the cover of the engine while the boat On and i told my friend to speed a bit after that i saw there was a leakage from the cooling pipe or hose which is located next to the turbo it's quiet big pipe, you will not notice from where the leakage until you speed because when you increase the speed you increase the pressure as well.

PHOTO-2019-08-07-08-40-10.jpgPHOTO-2019-08-07-08-40-10.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back