Speed sensor on 2002 RXDI -- advice needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdp

First-time poster here...

My 2002 RXDI sat in the garage for several years -- I had it tuned up right before I stopped using it (several years ago) though. It has a total of <50 hours so I had high hopes to get it back onto the water this season.

Last week I had the fuel changed and a local repair shop was able to start it right up (with a new battery). I launched it and it seems to run great EXCEPT that the speedometers (digital and analog) don't work at all. (Both read zero.)

I assume that the speed sensor is my problem so I ordered part number 278001595, which will be here on Tuesday. I looked at the current speed sensor and the paddle wheel appears to spin just fine (with no impact on the speedometer, though).

If the speed sensor is indeed the culprit do I have any prayer of removing & replacing the part myself or should I take it to the shop? Any idea how much labor would be involved if I take it in and if they'll need to have any unusual tools?

Looks like the corresponding wire goes through the hull in a watertight hole and I have no idea what connectors lurk on the other side. A quick look at the shop manual suggests that the connectors are going to make this tricky. I peered under the seat to see where the wire comes through and it is really hard to access. (I couldn't even get close.)

Incidentally, I noticed that the digital temp display appears to work but I don't know whether it's air or water temp. (It says "L TEMP" -- maybe lake temp?) If it's water temp that's interesting, because I think the water temp sensor is the same as the speed sensor.

How much trouble am I facing? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Follow-up question...

Except for the fact that the OEM part is on its way to me, is there any reason I shouldn't buy the CanDooPro GPS product instead? Looks like a superior product that's much easier to install. True?

Still don't know if I can do it myself, though -- I watched the YouTube video of someone with a 3-seater installing it and it appeared that his speedometer plug (under the rear seat) was more readily accessible. I have no idea where mine is.

Will the CanDooPro drive both the digital and analog speedometers?

Last edited:
I didn't check but I know the Candoo drives the dial Speedometer. You have to mount the GPS in a location where it can receive the Satillites. there is plenty of wire so you can mount the unit anywhere on the ski. On my RX I mounted it up front under the hood area.

Those sensors are prone to go out even though the paddle wheel spins freely.
It should work fine after installing the new one. I have replaced several with no problem.

How do you get the screws out?? I've never gotten one out completely without breaking something so I just don't even try. I tried on at least 3 of them.... I'm suppose to be a machinist by trade. LOL

I guess I am lucky as I have never had any trouble getting the screws out. I have replaced all of mine...oops, check that I still need to replace one more.
Do you have an impact driver?

Yes I do, but between them not turning and the plastic breaking.... as there are 3 screws at least 2 too many. I guess I could use my old tried and true chisle and punch method. When I throw away a ski, that part goes with them. LOL

I ordered the CanDooPro and it will be here later this week, so I plan to return the OEM part -- sounds like getting the OEM sensor out can be tricky.

Will it be hard to find (and get access to) the speedometer cable in the hull/under the seat to add the CanDooPro in-line?

I ordered the CanDooPro and it will be here later this week, so I plan to return the OEM part -- sounds like getting the OEM sensor out can be tricky.

Will it be hard to find (and get access to) the speedometer cable in the hull/under the seat to add the CanDooPro in-line?

Does the 3-pin connector on the left side of this bundle look like the speedometer/lake temp wires?IMG_1509.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back