Speed Ometer and RPM gauges just do not work

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonetraveler

Everything works, and it runs great. But I can not get my speed or the RPMs. What am I doing wrong or what should I be looking for?

I can be such a dumb a$$. Of course you need to know the year and model if you are to help me. It is a 2004 Sportster which I bought about a month ago on e-bay. Reporting to have only 20 hours on the motor. Everything works great but the Speedometer and the RPM gauge just do not move at all. Please tell me what you think might be the problem. Thanks

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I'm not totally familiar with that model of boat but make sure all your battery cables are hooked up. Check the fuses and also make sure the actual gauge cluster is plugged in.

Does the digital portion of the gauge cluster work?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I'm not totally familiar with that model of boat but make sure all your battery cables are hooked up. Check the fuses and also make sure the actual gauge cluster is plugged in.

Thank you for your response and interest in helping me. Yes, the gauge clusters do work. And, so does the gas gauge. I check the fuses (the ones I found) and they all good. I am not sure if there is a fuse for the Speedometer and RPM meter that I have not found. The Speedometer and RPM meter is plugged in. But, when I bought the boat it did not have a battery installed. The seller bought a brand new heavy duty expensive battery and I installed it. I am going to look in that part of the compartment for another set of wires that I did not see and should be connected to the battery. Thank you for this idea.

I have gone back into the battery to make sure it is connected properly. Of course the main Neg is connected to the neg terminal on the battery and the red Pos is connected to the pos terminal on the battery. However there are two light weight wires, maybe 16 gauge or less they are black and the other is black with a green stripe. They too are connected to the neg terminal. They are independent of each other and independent of the big neg wire. Currently, I have them connected to the Neg terminal on the battery. I am wondering should they be connected to the Pos terminal. Maybe one goes to the speedometer and the other to the RPM. I can't find a schematic anywhere on any site. Can anyone help?

If I had to guess one is the bilge pump, the other wire.... not sure but I find it hard to believe the should be on the negative terminal. Hopefully someone with a similar boat will chime in.

You can usually buy a digital copy of the service manual on eBay fairly easily. They have schematics in them.

I have a 2003 Sportster that has the same problem. I haven’t bothered trying to fix it but I’ve read it can be a common problem but haven’t seen a real solution.

If I had to guess one is the bilge pump, the other wire.... not sure but I find it hard to believe the should be on the negative terminal. Hopefully someone with a similar boat will chime in.

You can usually buy a digital copy of the service manual on eBay fairly easily. They have schematics in them.
Thank you I will do that. Forgot about eBay

Thank you Nelson. This was very helpful. I now need to look at another reason why the RPM and Speedometer does not work. Much Thanks

yep- same issue with my 05 sportster 155- the speedo & tach don't work. there's a couple of fuse blocks to check; one fuse block is under the helm hood where the gauge cluster is, and there's another fuse block in the engine bay, port site, up on the wall behind the passenger seat. I've checked all my fuses- all is good there but still not working. the gauge lights work, but the needles don't move at all. after I finish rebuilding the jet pump I'll spend more time tracing the wire harness for the gauges to figure out why the speedo & tach aren't working. such a PITA!

I would check the small impeller that generates the speed signal. I believe its at the back of the boat away from the jet stream.

1563761235291.png

yep- same issue with my 05 sportster 155- the speedo & tach don't work. there's a couple of fuse blocks to check; one fuse block is under the helm hood where the gauge cluster is, and there's another fuse block in the engine bay, port site, up on the wall behind the passenger seat. I've checked all my fuses- all is good there but still not working. the gauge lights work, but the needles don't move at all. after I finish rebuilding the jet pump I'll spend more time tracing the wire harness for the gauges to figure out why the speedo & tach aren't working. such a PITA!

Thanks, I too checked both fuse boxes and all fuses are fine. I sure hope when you track down the issue you will let me know. I don't have the expertise that you seem to have.

I would check the small impeller that generates the speed signal. I believe its at the back of the boat away from the jet stream.

View attachment 42674
I am not sure how to check the small impeller, It does spin, but I am not sure if it is sending a signal, and I don't know how to check and see if it is sending a signal. Can you give me further directions as to find out if the signal is actually getting to the gauges?.

I've just begun my research into my cluster issues. after ohming out my gauges to make sure they are good, I'll basically start at the gauge and work my way back with a dvm trying to find where the signal is hanging up. my tach & speedo dont work- the wheel spins freely on the speedo and the lights on the gauges work... my full-time job is seriously getting in the way of me fixing my boat! :/

My 2003 Sportsters Tach and speedo hasn't worked for years probably over 10-12 years. Its not a big deal to me because they're not accurate anyway.....especially the speedo ( it shows faster than actual speed )
The most important gauges still work temp, overheat, voltage. and gas gauge. I occasionally use my GPS app on my cell phone to check speed. The problem is in the actual gauges .

I am not sure how to check the small impeller, It does spin, but I am not sure if it is sending a signal, and I don't know how to check and see if it is sending a signal. Can you give me further directions as to find out if the signal is actually getting to the gauges?.
Like Mr beergut is doing, you can follow the wire from the sensor, checking the wiring for breaks or disconnection. To test the sensor itself, you need a DVM (digital volt meter) to look for voltage when the impeller is spun. Best way is an oscilloscope so you could see the wave form and compare to a working sensor.

From the Shop Manual:

1564140256497.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back