Spark plugs - Help!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportster0817

Need help please! Just bought the boat a few days ago. Can't pull the plugs out of my new to me 2003 Sportster 4 tec. The socket is deep enough. I've tried with 5/8, 14, 15, 16, and 18MM. I'm getting a 17MM so I can try it. I'm sure it's touching bottom, I can tell (feel it) especially with the drive of course. The socket by itself would not be deep enough.

At first I thought the previous owner bought some different types of plugs (not 5/8), but after trying so many different socket sizes, I don't think this is the problem anymore. It is not engaging and the reason why isn't engaging is that the plugs are too tight and too deep down, so there is no enough hex out for the socket to engage with it, I believe. It's the only logical explanation. It is not that they are too hard to get them out, it's that they are not even engaging at all. When I turn the socket counterclockwise, it just spins and spins, not sound or feel of engagement...

They're not rounded. I can see the hex on all 3 of them. The hex looks perfect. See picture. Someone recommended to use a reversible driver which I'd need to hammer down the plug/driver. I don't want to use a hammer there and break porcelain... I don't know what else to try. I haven't put any fluid in there yet, I was thinking to put some WD40, but again I'd like to see the socket engaging first.

Thoughts?

image0 (6).jpeg

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts..

1.. are you sure you are using a plug socket. Some sockets seem deep enough but the sockets for a plug are different to allow for the space and size of a plug.
2.. Is it possible that they are loose now. I use the coil to stick it in and pull out the plug because it will not stay in the plug socket because it doesn't have the regular tip.

Looks to me like you are using a thick wall socket and it is hitting the side of the plug well before it engages the spark plug, I use a magnetic 16mm/5/8'' spark plug socket, 12 point that has very thin walls, the magnet helps lift the plug out and put it back in without dropping it and possibly changing the gap, remember to blow the well out with air before you take the plug out. You could also test a new plug in your socket to see if it fits/engages.

Last edited:
Looks to me like you are using a thick wall socket and it is hitting the side of the plug well before it engages the spark plug, I use a magnetic 16mm/5/8'' spark plug socket, 12 point that has very thin walls, the magnet helps lift the plug out and put it back in without dropping it and possibly changing the gap, remember to blow the well out with air before you take the plug out. You could also test a new plug in your socket to see if it fits/engages.

+1 on all of this.

Do any of the sockets you've tried fit your new plugs? Are you using spark plug sockets?

You need a 5/8 specific for spark plugs. I bought a Sportster today and did a compression test before paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back