Spam bots and lost posts

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hfgreg

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Hey guys,

We have lost all posts since early this morning. I was trying to clean jsut the spam and somehow it selected every post not just the spam posts. Sorry for the inconvenience guys.

Greg

Yeah, this is why we usually have two kinds of backups: the system backup (the whole thing as a whole in case of a machine failure) and a file backup where you can pick and choose. However, since I never backed up a forum throughout my career, I don't know what's available to you. It depends how threads and posts are stored with your forum engine. Sometimes, that level of granularity is not possible or very very expensive (example: if it is stored in a single database, a database rollback can become tricky because you will lose something to restore something else).

The other method is a "snapshot" backup every 5-10 minutes. In the event that something happens, you can simply delete the last snapshot. This however can consume great deal of disk space.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is why we usually have two kinds of backups: the system backup (the whole thing as a whole in case of a machine failure) and a file backup where you can pick and choose. However, since I never backed up a forum throughout my career, I don't know what's available to you. It depends how threads and posts are stored with your forum engine. Sometimes, that level of granularity is not possible or very very expensive (example: if it is stored in a single database, a database rollback can become tricky because you will lose something to restore something else).

The other method is a "snapshot" backup every 5-10 minutes. In the event that something happens, you can simply delete the last snapshot. This however can consume great deal of disk space.
All great info, however there's also risk analysis, financial impact, and cost/benefit to consider. We're not saving lives here. [emoji2957]

Does it date me that every time I read Spambots I hear Frau Farbissina yelling, “RELEASE THE SPAMBOTS!”?
120182be229e17be0d0762c248a9287f.jpg

Yep, gets expensive quick!

Back