Something is seized up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a used 98 Sportster, 717 engine... It worked the first couple times out although it sounded quite a bit clanky at low speeds.
Last time I took it out, suddenly it would only go about half speed and then cut off. The engine was turning over, but I couldn't restart...

I tried to change some basic things first - spark plugs, made sure the oil level was good, etc. It started up and ran for about 3 seconds and then something seized up on me because I was unable to get the engine to turn over on the next attempt to start.

I have taken off the starter motor, cleaned off debris and added electrical lube to contacts. The solenoid is working and delivers power. The starter motor seems to run fine when not attached to the large engine gear, although I didn't actually measure torque. It jumped with some serious kick though.

Next, I took apart the engine top and cyclinder tops to see if there was any piston or cylinder damage - all looks ok as far as I can tell.

Finally, I lifted up the drive shaft flywheel cover behind the engine to turn the flywheel of the drive system. I was able to manually turn the drive system including jet on one end and crankshaft with pistons on the other end.

But, my starter motor still gets caught on something because it is still unable to make things turn over. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the seadoo forum Electrical Engineer. If you took the flywheel cover off the magneto side of the engine, then you could see the starter Bendix inside the case and how it connects to the flywheel. I believe the Bendix on that model of starter stays in the case. Remove the screws on the Bendix and inspect it. It could be frozen up. Seadoo only uses 2 type of starter.1) that has the Bendix part of the starter assy. or 2) Bendix that stays inside the case and the main part of the starter comes out. Give it a check and give us a shout if you get in a jam.

Karl

Thanks

So, yes, it was some binding of the gear in the magneto area...

Details:
Since there seemed to be a lot of binding, I took out the whole engine and began dissassembly of the bottom end. However, when I removed the magneto cover and bolt for the gear, I noticed the large magneto gear was slightly off center. I then turned the engine (with a lot of binding) so I could hit the back side of the gear through the starter motor hole in an attempt to line it back up correctly.

That was it for now. It got rid of the binding and now it's turning smooth without any binding...

It bugs me that the gear got a little off center though. I think I will put a little compound between the gear puller plate and the top of the bearing in an attempt to keep things lined up straight.

Thanks.

Keep an eye on the starter as you don't want that to come apart and cause lots more troubles.

Karl

Sheared Magneto Assembly

FYI

Turns out my magneto assembly was sheared. There's no bearing - the assembly with starter gear attached fits directly on the keyed shaft. I replaced it and no more binding.

I also had to replace my starter motor that went bad (armature burned up)from trying to start the engine a couple more times when it was seized up...

Now it's back together and running like a champ.

Just another note. I also learned that putting the flywheel cover back in place is very important. Otherwise, lake water will fly around the engine compartment and particulary up the carb air intake.

I know this thread is dead but just thought I would mention that my starter gear also slipped back for no apparent reason, apparently it is loctighted on at the factory. new assembly is about $471 :ack:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back