Solas impeller for 2005 Sportster 4-tec 155

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetPro2Fly

Hello - I've been researching possibly getting better performance (out of the hole, and top speed) by replacing the impeller with a Solas impeller.

Anyone with experience or knowledge of the right parts to replace and if you noticed a performance bump?

Hello - I've been researching possibly getting better performance (out of the hole, and top speed) by replacing the impeller with a Solas impeller.

Anyone with experience or knowledge of the right parts to replace and if you noticed a performance bump?

You can get one or the other, but not both.

Asked the same question about 20 years ago. The physics was explained. You can change the pitch to get a better hole shot, but will sacrifice top end speed. Or, you can sacrifice hole shot to get better top end speed. All other things (horsepower, torque, pump size, etc...) being equal.

Imagine a car with one gear, and trying to find a different gear that will improve both the launch and top end speed.

Your impeller is your gear on a jet ski.

Asked the same question about 20 years ago. The physics was explained. You can change the pitch to get a better hole shot, but will sacrifice top end speed. Or, you can sacrifice hole shot to get better top end speed. All other things (horsepower, torque, pump size, etc...) being equal.

Imagine a car with one gear, and trying to find a different gear that will improve both the launch and top end speed.

Your impeller is your gear on a jet ski.
Understood, no extra gears to run through, so either or, depending on what 'gear' is installed. I will try talking to a Solas rep today. If you know anyone who has direct experience with this on a similar boat, please forward them to this thread.

Last edited:
Which product(s) from Solas do you have experience with and what was the performance upgrade that resulted?

JetPro this is the Solas prop 11/19 That I replaced my original prop with on my Sportster 155 with wake tower. It will run 49-51 MPH (gps) by myself. I know the tower slows me down a few mph but its much better than the factory prop.

Attachments

• solas prop size.jpg
    solas prop size.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 28
  • solas prop box.jpg
    solas prop box.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
JetPro this is the Solas prop 11/19 That I replaced my original prop with on my Sportster 155 with wake tower. It will run 49-51 MPH (gps) by myself. I know the tower slows me down a few mph but its much better than the factory prop.
Thank you UpTheCreek. I currently am able to top out at 49mph on GPS by myself with less than 1/2 tank of gas with stock impeller. This was without a bimini or tower. I now ride around with a bimini, and top out around 46mph with toys, 2 adults and a 9yr old.

What sea elevation are you at? I'm about 370ft above Sea level.

Did you replace it yourself? If so, what was the difficulty level? Did you replace the wear ring at the same time or any other parts?

Thank you again for sharing your experience!

I literally just opened my new pump and solas "concord" 11/19 impeller an hour ago. Getting ready to install on my 2005 Speedster 155. The only special tool you really need is the impeller remover. I've removed impellers without the tool before by just putting the pump back on the spline shaft in the boat and using a socket adapter with an allen wrench in it, and cracking it off with my 1/2" drive impact- but I don't recommend doing it this way as it puts a lot of stress on your drivetrain parts. I would recommend just buying the impeller tool, it's cheap (about $11) and makes the job a lot easier. The impeller tool solas part # is WR011. I would also recommend installing a new wear ring while you have your pump off. Unless your wear ring is in really good shape. You should be able to pick up a new impeller and wear ring for under $300. It's really not a bad job. But it certainly helps to have a 1/2" impact and a large bench vise! I've been told the Concord prop gives you an extra 2 miles per hour top end but to be honest I really couldn't tell you because there's just too many variables in the lake to know. btw, i DONT recommend using inland jet motor sports for your parts.

Attachments

• 20190722_180208.jpg
    20190722_180208.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20190722_175900.jpg
    20190722_175900.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
Thank you UpTheCreek. I currently am able to top out at 49mph on GPS by myself with less than 1/2 tank of gas with stock impeller. This was without a bimini or tower. I now ride around with a bimini, and top out around 46mph with toys, 2 adults and a 9yr old.

What sea elevation are you at? I'm about 370ft above Sea level.

Did you replace it yourself? If so, what was the difficulty level? Did you replace the wear ring at the same time or any other parts?

Thank you again for sharing your experience!
I'm in North Florida area..... I think my location is about 15ft. above sea level

I literally just opened my new pump and solas "concord" 11/19 impeller an hour ago. Getting ready to install on my 2005 Speedster 155. The only special tool you really need is the impeller remover. I've removed impellers without the tool before by just putting the pump back on the spline shaft in the boat and using a socket adapter with an allen wrench in it, and cracking it off with my 1/2" drive impact- but I don't recommend doing it this way as it puts a lot of stress on your drivetrain parts. I would recommend just buying the impeller tool, it's cheap (about $11) and makes the job a lot easier. The impeller tool solas part # is WR011. I would also recommend installing a new wear ring while you have your pump off. Unless your wear ring is in really good shape. You should be able to pick up a new impeller and wear ring for under $300. It's really not a bad job. But it certainly helps to have a 1/2" impact and a large bench vise! I've been told the Concord prop gives you an extra 2 miles per hour top end but to be honest I really couldn't tell you because there's just too many variables in the lake to know. btw, i DONT recommend using inland jet motor sports for your parts.
BeerGut - guess great minds think alike... something like that ;-)
Good to hear that it's not that tough of a job. I'll definitely get the tool and already have a 1/2" impact and vice handy. I just got off the water and it's moving good. I'll start looking into getting the parts at the end of the season here in SC.

I'll stay away from that parts seller.

I did find impellers.com which offers sending in your impeller for reconditioning and at the same time will repitch it. Sounds interesting if they know what they're doing. I'm going to contact them and see what they say and recommend.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on how your swap goes and if you notice a difference between stock. :cool::)

if you tackle the job- shoot me a private message and I'll give you my cell- I'll do my best to help out if you run into a problem.
Will do. Just enjoying the first season for now. I will get to it this winter. :thumbs-up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back