So I didnt tighten a drain plug fully and got 10 inches of water in my 1999 GTX RFI 787 Help please!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Buckley

So I pulled a bonehead move and I guess didnt fully tighten my starboard drain plug fully and got 10 inches in the seadoo overnight.

Pulled the plugs rolled it over a bunch got as much water out as I could asap and it came close to firing up but a weak battery hampered that effort.

Charged up the battery but then had another issue pop up and the starter spins now but it won't engage the flywheel.

Question for everyone what else should I do with the engine until I get a new starter in there as I don't want any corrosion to get going but it was only freshwater that got in.

Second, is it possible the starter is ok since it spins just needs a bit of lube on the splines where the gear slides to engage the flywheel or is it in need of a complete unit? It may be the original starter I'm not sure.

Lastly where is a good source to buy a high quality new starter and a new battery as the seadoo is in great shape with a new premium rebuilt 787 engine and mint cosmetically too!

I'd really appreciate your help as I am pretty sure the sooner we can get it running and fully warmed up the sooner the rest of the water will be outta the engine!

Trust me I'll never make that drain plug mistake EVER again!!!

OK, this is bad. I am no expert here (but I lost an engine before) but in 24 hours the engine will be ruined if nothing is done. I would add oil in the cylinders right away and try to turn the engine by hand to make sure it's everywhere inside the engine until you can fix the starter/flywheel issue.

I seem to be the only one on duty tonight and I am not sure my suggestion is sound (remember, I lost an engine to water...). One thing is sure, fogging oil and plenty of it couldn't hurt.

Maybe @mikidymac can pick this post quickly.

OK, this is bad. I am no expert here (but I lost an engine before) but in 24 hours the engine will be ruined if nothing is done. I would add oil in the cylinders right away and try to turn the engine by hand to make sure it's everywhere inside the engine until you can fix the starter/flywheel issue.

I seem to be the only one on duty tonight and I am not sure my suggestion is sound (remember, I lost an engine to water...). One thing is sure, fogging oil and plenty of it couldn't hurt.

Maybe @mikidymac can pick this post quickly.
I did shoot oil down the plug holes today and it's in garage with seats off and plugs out I'm trying to get a starter asap!

Any idea of the best place to get a starter from?

PS I would have to think the engine has a decent bit of oil on most parts and that freshwater has much less corrosive effect than saltwater but yes trying to get it running and warmed up and dried out asap is my goal!

That's not necessarily true on the ruined engine. I"d bet that by engaging the starter with water in the engine you broke the bendix shaft.

Well thanks I'm hoping engine is ok and the plugs were removed and we had no issues with the starter for about 50 cycles of 5 seconds.

I only for a second tried to start it waterlogged but quickly felt a hydro lock and let off the starter asap. Pretty sure the starter may have been on it's way out and all the use today finished it off as it spins no problem but the gear wont engage the flywheel.

Last edited:
Well shes back and running....picked up a new starter and battery and went to work tonight after dinner.

First thing I put in new battery electrolyte and let sit then I pulled out injectors (good news not much moisture after the doo had sat seats off and plugs out since Sunday evening.)

I then went to work on pulling the starter...anyone who has done it on the GTX RFI 787 knows that bottom 13mm nut is a bugger but it eventually came out with lots of extensions from the stern right side. Other 6mm hex bolts were a relative breeze and bam starter came off and the entire shaft of the starter had broken just at the housing behind the starter gear bendix.

Anyway cleaned up around the flywheel and sprayed a little WD 40 in the flywheel housing from top sensor when removed and wiped up some metal fillings etc from the starter gear.

Bench tested new starter on my 12V jump starter booster pack as I didnt want to find out it was NFG once put back in and all was good.

Mounted up the new starter and reinstalled the injectors, spark plugs, popped open fuse box and dried it out and pulled fuses and lubes with vaseline. Got it all set and hit the button and man that starter and new battery turns that ski over quicker than the old one and beat up battery did!

Fired right up first try for 3 seconds and then died, again same once or twice same thing and then 4 th time was the charm and with some throttle control she was back and running very smoothly. Shit it down after 20 secs or so and started it one more time again 10 mins later and all good.

Plan to take it out tomorrow for a good run and get it fully warmed up and dried out inside and out so I'm super happy with the result.

All in all under $200 for the starter and battery and about 3 hours of my time.

Couldnt be happier and I'll tell you I've learned my lesson about not triple checking the damn drain plugs before launching! Never going to forget this one!

20190826_211923.jpg20190826_210943.jpg20190826_210949.jpg

Well shes back and running....picked up a new starter and battery and went to work tonight after dinner.

First thing I put in new battery electrolyte and let sit then I pulled out injectors (good news not much moisture after the doo had sat seats off and plugs out since Sunday evening.)

I then went to work on pulling the starter...anyone who has done it on the GTX RFI 787 knows that bottom 13mm nut is a bugger but it eventually came out with lots of extensions from the stern right side. Other 6mm hex bolts were a relative breeze and bam starter came off and the entire shaft of the starter had broken just at the housing behind the starter gear bendix.

Anyway cleaned up around the flywheel and sprayed a little WD 40 in the flywheel housing from top sensor when removed and wiped up some metal fillings etc from the starter gear.

Bench tested new starter on my 12V jump starter booster pack as I didnt want to find out it was NFG once put back in and all was good.

Mounted up the new starter and reinstalled the injectors, spark plugs, popped open fuse box and dried it out and pulled fuses and lubes with vaseline. Got it all set and hit the button and man that starter and new battery turns that ski over quicker than the old one and beat up battery did!

Fired right up first try for 3 seconds and then died, again same once or twice same thing and then 4 th time was the charm and with some throttle control she was back and running very smoothly. Shit it down after 20 secs or so and started it one more time again 10 mins later and all good.

Plan to take it out tomorrow for a good run and get it fully warmed up and dried out inside and out so I'm super happy with the result.

All in all under $200 for the starter and battery and about 3 hours of my time.

Couldnt be happier and I'll tell you I've learned my lesson about not triple checking the damn drain plugs before launching! Never going to forget this one!

View attachment 43843View attachment 43844View attachment 43845
Thanks for posting your results and the pictures of that busted up starter....very interesting. Go easy for a few minutes to let her get warmed up, then give it a workout...these engines were meant to run, so run it.

BTW: You checked the oil right????

Thanks for posting your results and the pictures of that busted up starter....very interesting. Go easy for a few minutes to let her get warmed up, then give it a workout...these engines were meant to run, so run it.

BTW: You checked the oil right????

So I let it warm up on idle for 5 mins from boat ramp and a little bog on getting up on plane but after that all good!!!

Ran it for an hour and a half and a few stops in there and some mix of idle cruise and WOT and all good.

Very happy i fixed quick and no issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back