Side Water outlet hose?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike R

Hello, newbie, just purchased two skis, 96 Sea Doo Bombardier SPI, 587 engine, and a 98 Kawasaki. SPI runs rough, was told needed carb adjust, bought the Mukini rebuild kit and will have that done this week, along with new fuel selector switch and new fuel filter. It looks like the fuel lines were replaced, but the ones by the selector switch still look to be the grey ones so I will replace those when doing switch. A few questions:
There is a loose hose not connected in engine compartment, i traced it out and it goes to the water discharge on right side of Front of ski, but I cannot find where it connects to block.
also there seems to be the same type of Fuel filter on the oil injector hose?
At 57 I’m a First time ski owner, bought for me and adult Daughter, thank you in advance for any advice or help.
mike

Attachments

• EEE1CF25-56B4-4645-AFFB-F45055EAD5FC.jpeg
    EEE1CF25-56B4-4645-AFFB-F45055EAD5FC.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 39
  • C654102F-DF8E-4B74-A8C1-2C57BC86CF83.jpeg
    C654102F-DF8E-4B74-A8C1-2C57BC86CF83.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 42
The water outlet hose, small diameter, is a vent line that hooks into the battery vent to gas out any battery acid/hydrogen from inside the machine. Most people are running sealed batteries the days and they do not have a vent so the line in the machine is not used. Just coil it up and tuck it up high by the oil tank. Or if you are using a flooded battery make sure the hose is hooked up to the vent on it.

There is an in line oil filter on the line between the tank and pump, it looks like a little fuel filter. That is from the factory.

The fuel filter is located up by the bars and is a filter/water seperator with a removeable bowl and filter element to easy cleaning and re-use. Be very careful to not loose the rubber seal off the bowl when you take it apart and make sure it's seated in the bowl groove before you spin it back on or you can drain gas into the hull or suck air into the fuel system. Do not add any extra fuel filters to the machine, the stock filter is very effective.

Welcome to the forum. This is an active one with lots of good info and people willing to help.

The water outlet hose, small diameter, is a vent line that hooks into the battery vent to gas out any battery acid/hydrogen from inside the machine. Most people are running sealed batteries the days and they do not have a vent so the line in the machine is not used. Just coil it up and tuck it up high by the oil tank. Or if you are using a flooded battery make sure the hose is hooked up to the vent on it.

There is an in line oil filter on the line between the tank and pump, it looks like a little fuel filter. That is from the factory.

The fuel filter is located up by the bars and is a filter/water seperator with a removeable bowl and filter element to easy cleaning and re-use. Be very careful to not loose the rubber seal off the bowl when you take it apart and make sure it's seated in the bowl groove before you spin it back on or you can drain gas into the hull or suck air into the fuel system. Do not add any extra fuel filters to the machine, the stock filter is very effective.

Welcome to the forum. This is an active one with lots of good info and people willing to help.
Ah, got it, Thank you so much, battery vent, Makes perfect sense.
I seen the fuel filter under bars tracing the line today, I had already ordered fuel filter with new o ring yesterday, and picture looks exactly like the oil inline filter, thought I ordered wrong filter, but after your info, I reviewed order and it comes with Fuel filter, o ring and a new oil line filter, everyday I’m learning something new, thanks again, appreciate the help.

Yes, I have read that, it looks like somebody removed the grey lines and replaced previously, but I think I seen a grey line coming off of fuel selector switch, which I’m going to replace next week when I replace the switch.

Ah, got it, Thank you so much, battery vent, Makes perfect sense.
I seen the fuel filter under bars tracing the line today, I had already ordered fuel filter with new o ring yesterday, and picture looks exactly like the oil inline filter, thought I ordered wrong filter, but after your info, I reviewed order and it comes with Fuel filter, o ring and a new oil line filter, everyday I’m learning something new, thanks again, appreciate the help.

Glad to help.

You may also want to get a new fuel selector as well.,,the green gunk in the gray fuel lines will plug up the selector.

.....It looks like the fuel lines were replaced, but the ones by the selector switch still look to be the grey ones so I will replace those when doing switch
Also looks like the main fuel line to the carbs and probably the one between them is still the tempo grey lines.

....The fuel filter is located up by the bars and is a filter/water seperator with a removeable bowl and filter element to easy cleaning and re-use....
On my 95 xp one of the 2 grey lines coming off the filter is cut. And another grey fuel line coming from the selector is cut as well. Is this normal? Both cut to about 4 inches long. Guessing its normal since im the only owner and its never had fuel issues unless some shop did it years ago.

Does the filter have any fuel in it?

The is one in, one out. If one is cut then something isn't right and needs looking into.

Also, check for kinks in the line to the filter, and out to the carb the carb,..there is a gentle but concise curve to the filter,,,I had one once with a partial kink...causing an intermittent fuel delivery problem.

Does the filter have any fuel in it?

The is one in, one out. If one is cut then something isn't right and needs looking into.

Not sure if there's fuel.

Its a long story for my first thread when i start rebuilding it. Last ride was almost 10 years ago when a buddy was riding it, we dont see him for a couple hours, finally find him at the hotel and he says it ran it out of fuel, that he put more in and it wouldnt start good. Dont know/remember how long he tried or rode it messed up. I noticed the exhaust manifold stud broke off spraying water so parked it. It ran fine all day till he disappeared on us for a couple hours. Fast forward to present day, all the 2 stroke oil somehow leaked out into the hull and saw the two cut fuel lines. Pic attached. I pulled the tank for cleaning back then, didnt cut any lines and the ski hasnt been to a mechanic since the late 90's. Weird. Pic attached showing both cut lines - sorry if its HUGE

Attachments

• 20200901_152540.jpg
    20200901_152540.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 27
My guess is that he just runs the inline from the fuel pickup straight (to the filter I think, hard to tell from the pic), to the carb,

The line looks like it got chewed apart, not a knife cut.

The good news is you need to replace all those grey lines anyhow.

The bad news is we have to confirm if the fuel system has been "modified" to bypass the filter, fuel selector or anything else.

The good news is there is this picture out of the 96 shop manual that gives some idea of where everything runs from and to.Screenshot_20200901-212147_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

To help clarify in the picture. Part "8" is only one part. They show two but one is the standard pickup tube in the sp and the other one, with wires, is the pickup tube for machines with a fuel gauge. The small section of fuel line directly above the right hand "8" tube is NOT A FUEL LINE but the impulse line running from the carb to the motor (not shown) to run the fuel pump.

Last edited:
Thank you AK, waiting on fuel selector switch now, thanks for including the schematic, it will be helpful to figure out whats going on from previous owner(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back