Seedoo says SJ SH SL but API has superseeded these Specs!! with SM-any advice??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

renomaan

here is my ref: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/API.html

Im gettin ready to change my oil on my SC 4TEC engine and was wonder OK, which oil spec is the best to look for SH SJ or SL, we'll apparently these have been supersceded with SM??? any one have an opinion on that? The API chart says SH is obsolete as well-see below.

here is what API chart says:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
For automotive gasoline engines, the latest engine oil service category includes the performance properties of each earlier category. If an automotive owner's manual calls for an API SJ or SL oil, an API SM oil will provide full protection. For diesel engines, the latest category usually - but not always - includes the performance properties of an earlier category.

Gasoline Engines
Category Status Service
SM Current For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced November 30, 2004. SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistence, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil. Some SM oils may also meet the latest ILSAC specification and/or qualify as Energy Conserving.
SL Current For 2004 and older automotive engines.
SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines.
SH Obsolete For 1996 and older engines. Valid when preceded by current C categories.

Interesting....

So, seeing your thread, I decided to take a look, since it's been while since we visited the great oil debate. Of course, with all the damage created when the first SC and SCIC engines came out, caused by using the synthetic oil with the new ceramic slip washers, it's been really confusing trying to keep up with oil types and which ones to use with what.

I did a little research of my own and one of my links actually led me back to your page, so I see your point in the SM oils as being valid as the newest oil but not really a user friendly oil for the 4-TEC engines.

The API designated SH oil is obsolete. The SJ oil is for 2001 and older engines which leaves the SL as the best oil for the newer engines. But now, there is a new oil in this designated class, the SM rated oil.

The SM rated oil was first introduced in November of 2004 for the 2005 and newer gasoline engines. SM-rated oils along with previous "SL" (2001) and "SJ" (1997) ratings, are backwards compatible and can be safely used in older engines with some exceptions. I think, our engines may meet these exceptions and probably should make us want to stick with the SL designated oils.

The newer SM designated oil had a supplement that came out in November of 2008 and was found to cause damage to certain type camshafts (flat tappet) in older engines, muscle cars or high performance. The new SM oils contain a much lower level of an anti-scuff additive called "ZDDP" (Zinc Dialkyl Dithio Phosphate). The level of ZDDP in current motor oils has been reduced to no more than 0.08% phosphorus to extend the life of the catalytic converter.

So, in my opinion, if we know we don't have a catalytic converter, I think it would be more advantageous to continue to use an oil designated with the higher ZDDP anti-scuff levels than the SM designated oil provides, since our 4-TEC engines would fall in the category of "high performance" engines.

Again, in my "opinion", I think users who are currently using the SJ or SL designated oils should stay with this type oil, with the SJ being the best choice. My opinion does not supercede any recommendations from BRP and Rotax so please, decide on your oil type wisely...........:cheers:

Information paraphrased from:
www.aa1car.com/library/api_motor_oil_classifications.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back