Seadoo Spark 2up Vs 3up Comparison

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Kiwifolk

Hey all

When we were looking at getting skis we found it was hard to find speed comparisons between the 2up and 3up.
Being slightly longer with the extension platform we figured the 3up would have slightly more drag but couldn't quantify it.
Now that we are in lock down here in New Zealand and have a bunch of footage we decided to put a video together.

- First Run. - Both in sports mode
- 2nd Run. - 3up in sports mode 2up normal mode
- 3rd Run - Both in sports mode again different angle

I hope you enjoy!

Nice video and great drone work! My experience has been that they are a little closer to each other than in your video but the 2up is slightly faster. What top speed are you seeing? My 3up trixx will hit 50 with a 200lb rider when properly trimmed and smooth water.

Nice video and great drone work! My experience has been that they are a little closer to each other than in your video but the 2up is slightly faster. What top speed are you seeing? My 3up trixx will hit 50 with a 200lb rider when properly trimmed and smooth water.

Cheers!, in the video is about exactly as they are for us. Top speed is basically the same. were in kmph here in nz but ive had the 3up to 50mph and the 2up to 50.5mph as an equivalent. were more or less the same weight on the ski.

Which one would i buy if i was looking for a ski.. not sure if 2nd hand id get which ever one was the best deal at the time. the 2up turns tighter being that little bit shorter so its more fun but the 3up is so close im not sure id worry about that and is slightly better than the 2 in the chop./

Where we live we launch and shoot across the harbor to a creek (which is basically just part of the harbor) to go wake-boarding etc and with the right tide and wind direction it can be a choppy crossing and the 3up is the best to ride across like that.

I have both; a 2018 trixx 2-up and a 2018 trixx 3-up. they both hit 50 mph on a calm lake. I feel no difference between the two in regards to top end or hole-shot performance. the only difference I do notice is the 3-up takes a little more effort to stand it up vertical. the 3-up seat is definitely more comfortable- and for some reason the 3-up seems quieter to me but wife says they sound the same. (I'd probably take the wife's word for it ;) ) I do find the kids like the 3-up more than the 2 up, probably because there's more seat behind them and they feel safer on it. and like mentioned above- the 3-up may handle chop a little better (although no spark ski handles chop well at all because they're so light and have a thin plastic hull compared to the heavy fiberglass hulls)

Last edited:
I have both; a 2018 trixx 2-up and a 2018 trixx 3-up. they both hit 50 mph on a calm lake. I feel no difference between the two in regards to top end or hole-shot performance. the only difference I do notice is the 3-up takes a little more effort to stand it up vertical.

That would be interesting. My friends have the trixx 2up and 3up and haven’t done much in them myself. I know we did do a drag race 9 weeks or so ago (sadly not on video)
But over the however long we went.
it was the
1st - 2up spark
2nd - 3up spark
3rd - 2up trixx
4th - 3up trixx

we don’t have the reverse buckets on the sparks which I assume was less drag in the water. It wasn’t massive difference. We’re talking one ski length between 1st and 4th but enough to see.
I know when a friend and I are racing in smooth water the 2up just has that slight edge over the 3up even with time the slightly heavier rider on the 2. But it’s so minimal. Certainly wouldn’t be a factor in buying for me between any of them.

That would be interesting. My friends have the trixx 2up and 3up and haven’t done much in them myself. I know we did do a drag race 9 weeks or so ago (sadly not on video)
But over the however long we went.
it was the
1st - 2up spark
2nd - 3up spark
3rd - 2up trixx
4th - 3up trixx

we don’t have the reverse buckets on the sparks which I assume was less drag in the water. It wasn’t massive difference. We’re talking one ski length between 1st and 4th but enough to see.
I know when a friend and I are racing in smooth water the 2up just has that slight edge over the 3up even with time the slightly heavier rider on the 2. But it’s so minimal. Certainly wouldn’t be a factor in buying for me between any of them.
too many variables that could explain it; a half second difference on the throttle- riders weight and position on the seat, fuel levels in each ski... the engines are identical. the-3 up dry weight is 439 lbs / the 2-up dry weight is 428 lbs - only an insignificant 11 lb difference between them. I honestly don't feel any difference in physical attributes between the two would effect the top end speed.

Back