SeaDoo 787/800 (GTX RFI) Starter Issues (OEM vs Non-OEM)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmay3

Did some research, seems many feel the OEM starters are much better than cheaper aftermarket. It appears in the late 90's, Sea-Doo switched from a 9 teeth Bendix gear to an 8 tooth to gain more torque. I'm a believer that the factory knows best, so were they on to something...

My experience with my three 787's over about 5 years is you only need about 1-2 revolutions of crank to fire up, don't really matter about speed, temp or anything. Key seems to be a good AGM battery, I've had the best luck for the $ with a Autozone Duralast Gold ETX16L, I believe the Walmart version is the same OEM relabeled. I've come to recognize what really matters when you’re in trouble on the water is having enough battery, the starters combined with the motor compression/torque is at the limits of any small starter. So how do you get the most of it?

Most seem to say rebuild an old OEM starter over buying a cheap non-OEM, and even ok to rebuild it with the same cheap brush/bearing kit put in the non-OEM. What appears many are missing is the cheaper non-OEM's seem to all have the older 9 teeth version Bendix. Read many posts of people saying you want the 9 teeth so the motor spins faster, but is this true? Yes, it will spin faster, but what is the tradeoff... If your battery, cables and starter are perfect, then no biggie; but this is never the case... Why not except the slower cranking of the 8 teeth, still starts fine, right? My experience says yes, it's a great trade off: 5-10 fast cranks (9 teeth) or 10-20 slower cranks (8 teeth). The 787 is reliable, if it simply rotates. Why not guarantee you get some cranking vs riding the fine line not.

The lower tooth count on the starter allows a weaker battery (worn starter, loose connections) to still start the engine, this in turn has a lower draw on the battery cause of the gear ratio, so it defiantly gives you more cranking time/attempts. So is it really an OEM starter is better, or they just have a better gear ration to last longer and draw less of a load from your battery? I becoming more of a believer that its really the gear ratio over the OEM vs non-OEM.

OTHER:
If you own an RFI, you know electrical power is a premium. Between the starter, fuel pump, injectors and ignition, this is a heavy load. I've went out on a full battery charge and during the ride had a low battery light come on. In an RFI, with the drain of the pump, injectors and ignition, I full recommend you get to shore immediately, within 5 mins you will be dead with all the electronics running. So, also ensure your solid state rectifier or mag are charging the batt. I installed a $3 volt meter from ebay under the hatch, so I can monitor I'm charging at all times. Another issue with the RFI's is the solid state rectifier, carry a spare, only about $25, but will save your butt. I believe they get burnt up from charging the battery with a wall charger while still connected to the system. I had this happen, but now when I wall charge it, I unplug the solid state module and seems to protect it, haven’t blown one since.

Yes and no......
The aftermarket starters are junk because of the poor materials that they use. The main shafts break in half, the magnets fall off, the bendix comes apart and the cases come apart because they are poorly made. The OEM starters use better materials for all of those parts. As far as the 8 tooth vs. 9 tooth, Seadoo only used the 9 tooth for the very early 787's which were mostly the 95 and some 96 and once the race teams who were running higher compression kept burning up starters seadoo switched all 787's to the 8 tooth for more torque. It has nothing to do with speed, just more mechanical advantage.

Now the aftermarket ones were too stupid to notice this reason so they kept making the obsloete 9 tooth ones but they started advertising the 8 tooth as High Torque upgrades.

When we recommend replacing the brushes with aftermarket that is all we are suggesting is the brushes because it is a small wear part, not the cheap bearings or anything else. And the brushes are typically the only thing that fails in the OEM starters.

As far at the rectifiers, yes they are known to go out but it's just because of what seadoo uses and has noting to do with using a trickle charger. Although you should not be charging a battery in a ski for safety reasons and you are more likely to damage the MPEM than the rectifier. It is a good idea to keep a spare to save your weekend as you suggested.

Is there any non-OEM starter anyone would recommed, SBT, Venom? Many have a great sales pitches, but anyone have luck with a mid-priced one? Definatly one of them parts you do not want to change out often, better to pay up front and get a few worry free seasons...

Absolutely not, every one of the aftermarket ones are known to crap out quickly.

Nothing ruins a weekend trip or vacation like a junk starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back