Seadoo 717/720 stator bolt broke

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee.Harrison

So while screwing in my bolt for the stator it snapped off, will it be okay with 2 of the 3 and just run it or should I continue to try to use the bolt extractor, I have spent like 2 hours trying to get this bolt off and it just wont come out, any input?

You really should have all 3 bolts holding it in. Pull the stator to give yourself more room.

Also cobalt bits with some cutting oil will make it easier to drill.

If the bolt broke off screwing it "in" unless you had a lot of resistance while screw it in, the bolt should come out fairly easily.. Do a good job of center punching the exact center of the bolt. You could try a left hand drill but those don't always work. An easy out "might" work. There is always the Helicoil.

Shoulda seem me dealing with 7 broken bolts on this old 657X engine. Ick !!! They were frozen with calcium. I am almost a magician sometimes then... other times..... the part goes in the trash can. :D Good Luck !!!

Thx! I tried the center punch thing but it just kept slipping so I tries to drill it but it also kept slipping so I'll give it a try tomorrow, I'll give an update sometime in the future, thx guys

I have gotten broken bolts out using a very small chisel or very sharp center punch. I don't punch the center of the bolt and then drill it, I gently punch the outer edge and set the sharpest part of the tool in the dip and gently tap it to the left holding the punch as low as possible. A tap only spins the bolt a hair, but if you can get it to move just be patient and slowly work it out a couple of threads so you can get your fingers or pliers on it. Like was said above, if the bolt moved freely in the threads going in then it should spin out fairly easily. If you do damage the block threads a bit just get a tap and carefully chase the hole to clean things up.

Thx! I tried the center punch thing but it just kept slipping so I tries to drill it but it also kept slipping so I'll give it a try tomorrow, I'll give an update sometime in the future, thx guys

When I say center punch. I mean Center punch the CENTER of the bolt. The point is to drill a hole in the bolt so you can insert an easy out and back out the bolt. As AKnarrowback mentions, sometimes the bolts that shear on installation are LOOSE and can be backed out more easily. A left handed drill bit would be a good option in this instance. Starting with that may be best for you as the bolt may come out on drilling.

For me, I'd drill it and use an easy out to extract the bolt. It helps to be good with your hands. If you know a machinist that might be a good person to contact. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back