Sea-doo XP will not start...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom-doo

Hello out there,
I cant get me seadoo xp to start up after doing some work to it. Her is what I have done..
-replaced the Impeller wear ring
-New intake grate
-New battery (YUSA YB16CL-B)
-New hydro turf mats.
Prior to doing any work it started fine all summer. After just replacing the intake grate and impeller ring it would not start. I checked the stater relay and that is good, I checked the starter and that was dead, so I replaced the starter. Still would not start. So after finding out that the battery I had on there only had 120CCA (cold cranking amps) I decided to get a new battery. YUSA YB16CL-B which has 240CCA. I also decided to get new spark plugs just for the heck of it. Let me add that I charged the battery up with my battery tender junior at a rate of 12V 750 milliamps for 48 hours. The battery reads 13volts at rest. When I try to start it trys to turn over but almost seems like something is binding it up. If I remove the spark plugs the motor cranks over no problem and the plugs have spark. I measured the voltage between the starter and the battery when cranking and I see about 8V on the meter. Do I need to hook the hose up to it? do I really need to Help, winter is coming quickly and I need to get this winterized.

loosen the pump bolts two turns and start it. While idling, tighten pump bolts back down.
Nice catch Dan! I was thinking starter issue or poor cable connections, never thought about the impeller binding up on the new wear ring.

mikidymac- the starter I bought is this one "
Sea Doo Starter Motor 787 800 278001301 278001038 278000577 278000576
I bought if off amazon, of course. It has 9 teeth and the starter I took out had 8. So far I have checked the resistance in all of my power wires and they are below an ohm between .5 - .7 ohms . I started sanding my connections.

I can try loosening the pump bolts but I have to get the starter and battery back in first. Stay tuned.....

So try the pump but the starter you got it the typical aftermarket crap starter that usually doesn’t last. Also the 9 tooth had less torque due to gearing and is the last thing you want on a 787 especially s 97’ XP because the battery is so far away.

Most of the time new brushes will fix an OEM starter and last another 10 or more years.

X2 on the factory starter.

In messing with three DOOs all summer I had a good learning experience in how a "perfect" looking aftermarket starter can NOT WORK, even after replacing brushes and cleaning everything up. The used OEM starter I got off of ebay only needed to be taken down, clean the commutator (the surfaces the brushes ride on), a little grease and zero problems all summer. Just look for one that isn't covered with dirt, rust, corrosion and chances are that used OEM will last longer than a hand full of after market starters.

Well my friends, I loosened the 4 bolts at the pump housing and warmed the motor up with a blow dryer. Motor fired up, I turned on the water and tightened the 4 bolts back up. Big shout out to "dansquires" who was the first response to this thread! you nailed it home slice!) Thanks to everyone for your input, I will keep an ear on that new POS starter and look into a rebuild kit for my 8 tooth OEM starter. Can anyone refer me to a seller with a decent rebuild kit? THANKS ALL

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 36
Hello out there,
I cant get me seadoo xp to start up after doing some work to it. Her is what I have done..
-replaced the Impeller wear ring
-New intake grate
-New battery (YUSA YB16CL-B)
-New hydro turf mats.
Prior to doing any work it started fine all summer. After just replacing the intake grate and impeller ring it would not start. I checked the stater relay and that is good, I checked the starter and that was dead, so I replaced the starter. Still would not start. So after finding out that the battery I had on there only had 120CCA (cold cranking amps) I decided to get a new battery. YUSA YB16CL-B which has 240CCA. I also decided to get new spark plugs just for the heck of it. Let me add that I charged the battery up with my battery tender junior at a rate of 12V 750 milliamps for 48 hours. The battery reads 13volts at rest. When I try to start it trys to turn over but almost seems like something is binding it up. If I remove the spark plugs the motor cranks over no problem and the plugs have spark. I measured the voltage between the starter and the battery when cranking and I see about 8V on the meter. Do I need to hook the hose up to it? do I really need to Help, winter is coming quickly and I need to get this winterized.
SAME ISSUES WERE HAPPING TO ME STRONG BATTERY AND NEW PLUGS, BUT I FOUND OUT THAT MY IMPELLER BEARING WERE ALL BLOWN UP. NO MORE BEARINGS ITSELF JUST THE SHAFT AND TWO OUTTER HOUSING OF THE BEARING THAT LOOKED LIKE TWO FLAT WASHERS.. HOPE THIS HELPS.

SAME ISSUES WERE HAPPING TO ME STRONG BATTERY AND NEW PLUGS, BUT I FOUND OUT THAT MY IMPELLER BEARING WERE ALL BLOWN UP. NO MORE BEARINGS ITSELF JUST THE SHAFT AND TWO OUTTER HOUSING OF THE BEARING THAT LOOKED LIKE TWO FLAT WASHERS.. HOPE THIS HELPS.
STOP YELLING AT US. Just kidding, your caps are on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back