Sea Doo "seized"

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalglazed

My folks had an old two stroke sea doo, it got a rope caught up in the impeller, so the engine was taken out and completely redone..but then it sat for 8 years. I got a new battery, fuel+oil. It started up right away and I was stoked, I let it run for a couple minutes then went to go for a rip. Ran great for about 30 seconds, then bogged down and would only idle. Pulled it out of the water, and tried again the next day, started up just fine, but then it died and wouldn't crank. Seems like something is seized, or partially seized. Pistons are still moving but barely, maybe the impeller shaft?

My folks had an old two stroke sea doo, it got a rope caught up in the impeller, so the engine was taken out and completely redone..but then it sat for 8 years. I got a new battery, fuel+oil. It started up right away and I was stoked, I let it run for a couple minutes then went to go for a rip. Ran great for about 30 seconds, then bogged down and would only idle. Pulled it out of the water, and tried again the next day, started up just fine, but then it died and wouldn't crank. Seems like something is seized, or partially seized. Pistons are still moving but barely, maybe the impeller shaft?

What ski? model? yr? An engine that sat for 8 yrs is a crap shoot you could just put fuel, oil and battery in it and go. You should probably check the compression and go a little more deep overhauling the fuel system.
You also have the jet pump probably needing an inspection and fresh oil. I'd see if you can reach down and turn the engine by hand at the PTO, first with the jet pump still connected then pull it and see if it spins easier.

There are so many things that needed to be checked before starting a ski that sat for that long.

At this point do not touch that start button again. if you spin the PTO by hand what happens? Follow GGulliots directions. Do you feel it binding up anywhere? Do you hear any sounds that could indicate a top end failure (ticking, clicking, grinding, ratcheting)?

What type of oil did you use?
Did you reset the carb(s) to factory spec?

It's hard to give much advice with what we have so far but I would caution you to lower your expectations now. It's likely going to need a rebuild of some sort whether it be top end, bottom end, both, or pump. Cross your fingers it's the pump but expect it to be the engine which is more costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back