Sea Doo Boat Hull Touch Up !!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

studiocat13

Been looking around and didn't see a lot of info on this for our boats but wanted to ask...What are our best options for touching up light scratches on the hull. I have looked on line and don't see any options for my 2012 210 Challenger other than something like the EverCoat Gel-Coat Repair Kit that you mix and match for repairs. Any other options ?

Thanks !

Most scratches can be wet sanded out. If your scratch is through the gel and into the fiberglass, you'll need to add some gelcoat. Spectrum makes small kits for $35 that are color matched for your hull. You can give them a call for the correct shade when you're ready to buy. Keep in mind the colors on your boat are more than likely a different shade of the "new" color due to age and oxidation. A perfect match may require a bit of tinit to be added to the patch kit to be perfect.

I've used the Spectrum paste kit to patch a chip on the rear walkthru. If you didn't know where it was you cant find it. The paste kit is fairly easy to use, just be sure to prep, which could mean cutting the scratches deeper / bigger, so the gelcoat can grab. If they are just light scratches, compounding and then polishing may be all you need. Post a pic of the damage. I have some deep scratches on the black hull of my boat I'll be trying to fix as soon as the weather get better.

Thanks for all of the info guys, it is much appreciated and I will definitely post a couple pics later this week for more advice on how to proceed. Loving the site, you guys have been great !!

OK Guys, The Spectrum Kits look like the way to go but just wanted to post a few pics for you to see what I am looking to repair. All advice is welcome. Thanks !

Attachments

• 20180426_160252.jpg
    20180426_160252.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100
  • 20180426_160303.jpg
    20180426_160303.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 100
  • 20180426_160316.jpg
    20180426_160316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
From left to right:

1st pic: Looks like it can be sanded and buffed out.
2nd pic: Absolutely can be wet sanded and buffed out.
3rd: Needs gelcoat repair kit. Easy repair.

I will post pictures of an XP I am working on. I was considering just painting but If I can repair that works for me. I have a lot of deep damage. Wondering if Gelcoat can be sprayed.

I will post pictures of an XP I am working on. I was considering just painting but If I can repair that works for me. I have a lot of deep damage. Wondering if Gelcoat can be sprayed.

Gelcoat can absolutely be sprayed. I believe that's how it's typically applied when new and when doing large repairs.

Wondering if Gelcoat can be sprayed.

Yes it can be sprayed but not sure if you want or even need to. Typically rolling it on is the way, you can get it with or without the wax component combined that floats to the top surface as barrier for cure or apply the temporary curing barrier on top separately. I think the combination product works well.

My guess, spraying gel coat is similar to spraying Imron aside from the curing aspect?

There are a number of youtube videos on how to apply gel coat.

Gel coat is porous and brittle, cracks appear in areas too thin or thick but is durable enough to perform very well under the conditions.

Many repaints for Yachts are done using Awl-Grip and Brightside polyurethane, Awl Grip was the favorite for years and years, goof stuff.

I've been using white epoxy paint, air curing type for scratch and gouge touchups on my personal bottom.

Last edited:
Thanks, do you mind sharing a link to the product your using or a picture of it if link is not available?

This krylon, rustoleum or even the store brands work for me along with Marine-Tex epoxy filler for gouges. Plastic film cut from a 1 Liter soda bottle taped flat over the area using masking tape will hold Marine-Tex in place during cure. Use credit card to level and remove excess Marine-Tex before applying plastic film cuts down on or eliminates final block sanding big time. Too much epoxy will need to be shaved off or sanded flat and that takes time so beware. This type of plastic film from a soda bottle peels right off following the cure, leave it there until complete. If you have to navigate around a sharp curve or edge, try waxed paper instead of the plastic film.

Use painters acetone, not nail polish remover acetone, cotton towel and sandpaper to prepare the surfaces, scuff and remove oil/waxes, allow plenty of curing time before sanding.

Attachments

• epoxy paint.jpg
    epoxy paint.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back