Sea-Doo 2008 180 Challenger 215 running better new.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcguy

Yesterday I finally had the time to take out and enjoy my boat for the day (perfect weather) and wasn't disappointed. The Sea-Doo ran better than new. Last month I changed the impeller to Solas Concord 14/19, new wear ring and had problems with rpm's (Why only 7650 on previous post). Also, second outing, had problems with the alarm going off and engine oil light going on when I increased the throttle past idle. Motor went into limp mode.

Now the Challenger runs better than the specs provided by Boat Test.com. for a 2008, 215 180 Challenger. Keep in mind, the tachometer is analog and is it accurate? Who knows? Also, we know the speedometer is not accurate....that's why we use a GPS. One example, at 6000 rpm the Sea-Doo should do 24.7 mph and I got 30 mph. Another example, it topped out at 47 mph at 7800 rpm with a full tank of gas and my girlfriend checking the smart phone app GPS. . All data from a Lowrance GPS and double checked with the smart phone. Sure the sea conditions were perfect and the results were above average but I had a secret weapon.

My secret weapon was and is Brett and Jet Trendz of New Port Richey, Florida. I don't usually recommend shops or mechanics but in this case I'll make an exception. I do the minor stuff, changing the oil and filter. Removing and re-installing the jet pump but for the major work and diagnostics, I rely on, 'Brett the owner of Jet Trendz.' They have kept my old Sportster 155 running (sold in 2014) and now my Challenger. They water test all their work before they return your jet powered craft. Brett will take the time too answer all your question and concerns and will call you and explain your particular problem and tell you what has to be done to correct it, along with the cost involved. So no surprises. In this day and age, it's great to find and work with a knowledgeable business owner that has character.

They are located at 5929 US-19, New Port Richey. Phone number 727-844-5361. Just Google Jet Trendz and read the comments posted by their satisfied customers on their website. Picture taken Sunday 4/22/15

Regards,

Russ (rcguy)IMG_20150422_113520367.jpg:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome news....me and wife went out all day yesterday also along with some friends and there doo's...I love the impeller swap also to the concord...I also fixed the low voltage issue also...it's posted on the other thread....glad you got out with no issues and had fun...

Pic from yesterday image.jpg

So what was wrong? lol....Too far for me to travel to FL

The problems I had were stated in the first paragraph of my post and other post on this forum. The recommendation of Jet Trendz is for jet owners that live and play in the Tampa Bay area.

The problems I had was stated in the first paragraph of my post and other post on this forum. The recommendation of Jet Trends are for jet owners that live in the Tampa Bay area.

And I read your post about the new impeller and you having lower RPM but higher speed and what not but from what other people stated it sounded like that was typical. So with this post it sounded like there was a new issue arose from it and these people fixed. I was confused.

And I read your post about the new impeller and you having lower RPM but higher speed and what not but from what other people stated it sounded like that was typical. So with this post it sounded like there was a new issue arose from it and these people fixed. I was confused.

It was the old after market air filter that was clogged and kept the engine from performing too it's full potential. My mechanic found the problem when he installed the new oil pressure sensor and water tested the boat. He took the air filter off and the motor ran better. I hadn't checked the air filter myself because it looked OK. It's like the old saying, "looks can be deceiving." Lets say the engine runs much better but keep in mind the tach is analog and is it accurate? Don't know. We know that the speedometer is not accurate. That's why we use a GPS.

PS: Don't feel alone.....I'm confused most of the time anyway. lol:confused::chillpill:

It was the old air filter that was clogged and kept the engine from the higher rpm. My mechanic found the problem when he installed the new oil pressure sensor and water tested the boat. I hadn't checked the air filter myself because it looked OK. It's like the old saying, "looks can be deceiving."

PS: Don't feel alone.....I'm confused most of the time anyway. lol:confused:

i didnt know 4tecs had an air filter.. where is it? can't find it on parts diagram.

i didnt know 4tecs had an air filter.. where is it? can't find it on parts diagram.

The air filter is attached to the intake of my intercooler. The air filter is located on the starboard side of the motor about top of the engine high. Some owners don't use air filters. Why?....your guess is as good as mine.

I have a 2009 180se 255hp. Always ran ok but I thought it should perform a little better than 48mph @ 8000rpm. Last season I started getting a random long beep while underway. No codes or warning light; just that annoying beep. I started looking at the sensors and found out that the exhaust temp sensor located on the muffler was bad. It was all pitted and nasty looking. Swapped it out for a new one that I bought on eBay. I also replaced the air filter with a Spectre style filter from eBay as well. The random beep stopped after swapping out the sensor and I'm getting 52mph and 8200rpm with the better air flow. Boat runs so much better now. Still have some cavitation on takeoff even though I did a wear ring replacement and impellar restore from SBT.

I have a 2009 180se 255hp. Always ran ok but I thought it should perform a little better than 48mph @ 8000rpm. Last season I started getting a random long beep while underway. No codes or warning light; just that annoying beep. I started looking at the sensors and found out that the exhaust temp sensor located on the muffler was bad. It was all pitted and nasty looking. Swapped it out for a new one that I bought on eBay. I also replaced the air filter with a Spectre style filter from eBay as well. The random beep stopped after swapping out the sensor and I'm getting 52mph and 8200rpm with the better air flow. Boat runs so much better now. Still have some cavitation on takeoff even though I did a wear ring replacement and impellar restore from SBT.

See a new air filter works miracles. I would have bet the farm that a simple air filter change would make a unnoticeable difference. Now we know better. Have a great and safe season.

I have the 07 challenger with out a air filter and it has always bothered me....if I did the mod what about my rectifier? The intake box keeps it cool..could I just had a filter off the air box? I was told when I first bought the boat that I couldn't do this by the dealer...it was one of the questions when I bought the boat, where's the air filter? now that I think About it maybe he had it mixed up as if you added a bigger inner cooler you need to add bigger injectors...this is what he told me...maybe he didn't understand me and I was to excited about getting the boat to think...again he was just a salesmen...

I have the 07 challenger with out a air filter and it has always bothered me....if I did the mod what about my rectifier? The intake box keeps it cool..could I just had a filter off the air box? I was told when I first bought the boat that I couldn't do this by the dealer...it was one of the questions when I bought the boat, where's the air filter? now that I think About it maybe he had it mixed up as if you added a bigger inner cooler you need to add bigger injectors...this is what he told me...maybe he didn't understand me and I was to excited about getting the boat to think...again he was just a salesmen...

post some pictures, some one would know what to do with the challenger air filter

Yours is in a different location then mine....I see that the rectifier is on top of it but it's facing up instead of down....I thought the fins were me to to face down to be cooled by the force of moving air...I'm about to get ready to go out so when I get the vice off I'll take some pics...basically like [MENTION=67735]rcguy[/MENTION] has in his pic is what I would like to add...

My 2010 210 challenger has twin 155s and no filters. Just an "air intake silencer" and a baffle. According to the service manual, all of the other boats had filters in 2010.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back