Runaway 951

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an issue with the carburetor gaskets.
Two years ago I installed 2 new gaskets and was certain the carburetor mounting bolts were tight. But the 951 motor still had a tendency to rev high. Just recently, I rebuilt the carbs again, and after removing the gaskets to inspect, I found there was a small area of the gasket where the gasket appeared to have no impression. There was my small air leak.
I located another set of carb gaskets that were a bit thicker and more surface material. Instantaneously, the idle settled right down to normal....actually had to adjust to increase idle speed as it was too low.

Carb has been taken off set to to factory specs by a marina and put back on still same problem they told me they don’t know what’s wrong with it

Cracked intake, bad intake gasket, bad seal around reed cages, etc. it’s sucking air somewhere.
Sure the throttle cable is set properly?

If you look down inside the carb throats with plenty of light, can you confirm both throttle butterflies are near 99% closed, or is one open partially?

I find it difficult to believe any air leak could result in 6,000 RPM in water, such an engine speed would propel the hull into the mid 40MPH range and this takes plenty-o-fuel to make happen.

A runaway will not happen in the water. If it’s going to 6,000 rpm in the water your throttle is being held almost wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back