Rotax 657 Lift points???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

C_WAL15

I have just recently purchased a 1994 GTX which from what I understand has the 657 motor. My plan is to remove the engine with an engine crane but I cannot find any information online or in the service manual as to lifting points on the engine. Does anyone know if there are designated lift points or bolt locations that are safe to use? Has anyone else done this? Any help is much appreciated.

I thought of something similar but rather a plate that lifts from both spark plugs with a chain link in the middle to even out the weight a bit. My only question is wether or not the spark plug threads won’t get damaged with the weight of the engine hanging from them?

You're not gonna hurt the spark plug threads in the head by lifting there. That engine is so light you can lift it anywhere you choose just make sure it is secure. Sometimes I just do "HeMan" and with my feet in the foot channels I just pick up the the engine by hand. :) Sort of my F-you move to skis that are resisting my efforts. :D Sure pisses me off when I got a hose still connected though. LOL And.... I don't do that with 951s. :D Better and safer to lift with the hoist. Double check sealing off the oil lines they are sneaky. Good Luck.

I thought of something similar but rather a plate that lifts from both spark plugs with a chain link in the middle to even out the weight a bit. My only question is wether or not the spark plug threads won’t get damaged with the weight of the engine hanging from them?
No issues at all. Been using this one for over 30 years on skis.

You're not gonna hurt the spark plug threads in the head by lifting there. That engine is so light you can lift it anywhere you choose just make sure it is secure. Sometimes I just do "HeMan" and with my feet in the foot channels I just pick up the the engine by hand. :) Sort of my F-you move to skis that are resisting my efforts. :D Sure pisses me off when I got a hose still connected though. LOL And.... I don't do that with 951s. :D Better and safer to lift with the hoist. Double check sealing off the oil lines they are sneaky. Good Luck.
I kinda figured the engine would be light enough to just pull out anyway but my reasoning for the crane is just to make sure I haven’t forgotten to disconnect anything. Especially being my first time pulling an engine from a ski. Cheers

I kinda figured the engine would be light enough to just pull out anyway but my reasoning for the crane is just to make sure I haven’t forgotten to disconnect anything. Especially being my first time pulling an engine from a ski. Cheers
You're going abouty it the right way. Going in especially needs to be gentle and controlled. Take pictures. Good Luck !

On a side note - I keep threatening to throw this 657X engine in the trash if I can't find a home for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help. Managed to get the engine out no troubles. Hardest part was removing the jet pump. Glad I used a crane to lift the engine as it was a little heavier than I expected and I had managed to leave a few things connected without realising. This is what I ended up making to lift the engine with if anyones curious. Now I can get cracking on restoring the ski to its former glory.IMG_5937.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back