River test show a couple of issues.....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped and picked up another gallon of oil. I should have picked up 2. I was able to add the entire gallon of oil while watching with the seat off. With a full gallon added it is just now completely full to the top of the tank. The manual says the capacity of the oil tank is 1.6G. When adding the original gallon would it actually take .4G to fill the oil lines to the rotary valves plus the return, feed line to the pump, bleed to pump and then fill injector line? Could all of this actually taken .4G? I'll keep a watch on the oil consumption. I would assume if the injector is feeding to much oil it would smoke excessively and foul the plugs. There is not much smoke, definitely not what I would say is excessive. The plugs are dirty but it not like they are fouled to the point that they won't work.Am I just being overly concerned at this point?
with a full tank you should be able to go through 4 or 5 tanks of fuel.

Took the GTX back out for a good long while today. I was able to ride for 3hrs before hitting the low fuel flashing indicator on the dash and still didn't have to switch to reserve until I got to the dock 20 min after the flashing light. It was just myself for the ride today and was able to hit 51mph at 7100rpm per the digital dash readout.

Most of the ride was at about 5500-6000 witch put me at about 35-40mph via gps. There was this big difference in the engine at about 5000-5500 rpm, al most like there was a surge from the engine. I started to assume this was the rave valves opening up. Would this be correct? If so can I turn the red knobs out to allow the valves to open at a lower RPM? the motor seemed to run better once past the 5500rpm. I would love to move this power range down some if possible. Also below this surge, say 3500rpm when it just starts to come on plane up to about 5000rpm until this surge the engine runs more rough than it does above this 5-5500rpm limit.

Also at the end of the day as I was closer to the dock area on the river I was able to switch from cruising mode to play mode and trying to use up as much fuel as possible to test the fuel gauge and reserve switch, i was a bit more aggressive in my riding. In doing so I was able to spin it about but when coming out of a hard spin, or a fast hole shot, or stretching it out i was able to hit the rev limiter every time. Im turning close to 7200 rpm. I am not sure I am cavitating as when doing a high speed run stretching it out it never stops pulling until it hits the rev limiter. Remember I just replaced the wear ring, but also the other day with my youngest son, about 110lbs ,we did a high seed run and it did not do this.

A side note... there was a Solaras or something like that stamped on the impeller. Is it possible that this has an aftermarket impellor thats not sized for a single rider at high speeds?

The impeller probably is stamped SOLAS which is an aftermarket company. With you turning 7,000+ rpms at 51 mph this would tell me that it is a lower pitched prop probably added for towing a tube or something.

I would expect better numbers and a little lower rpm of 6,900 with the stock impeller. Seadoo actually did an awesome job selecting the stock impellers and with a stock ski they really can't be improved much over stock.

I was hoping this was the case and wanted to make sure this couldn't be masking another issue. Is there any long term harm in bouncing off the rev limiter?

Also what about the rough running at mid range? Its just not as smooth as the higher range. Is this due to the rave valves? Can adjusting them lighter help them come on sooner? If so at what rpm would they come on? Right now its like I'm on a knife edge when running between 5000-5500 rpm. To little throttle i fall off, to much and she rockets away...

Bouncing off the rev limiter isn’t a good thing as the engine is turning more rpm’s than it should and not enough load.

If it was mine I would either send the impeller to Impros to be repitched. Or get a good used OEM one from nick or Jess at Westside Powersports.

I am pretty sure what you think is rough running is just the transition of the RAVE valves which is usually at 4,500 rpm but with your impeller your loads and rpm are different than stock. I think that impeller is just making things seem worse than they are.

would adjusting the rave caps help in smoothing out that transition? I think I would want it to come on as soon as possible.

And just to add this in.... I am going to double check my water pressure regulator settings as well, but if this was out of adjustment would that account for some extra RPMs?

It really won’t make that much difference. Adjust the RAVE caps as much as you want as long as the two are set the same you can’t hurt anything.

Do not touch the water regulator on the muffler.

It really won’t make that much difference. Adjust the RAVE caps as much as you want as long as the two are set the same you can’t hurt anything.

Do not touch the water regulator on the muffler.

When I got the machine it was adjusted all the way in. Manual says 3 turns out ( from all the way in i assume) and thats where I set it. Someone had messed around with it.

Before I change out my impeller I am going to try the zip tie bellows trick first. Since I hit the rev limiter on the hole shot i want to confirm the new wear ring hasn't created more suction and now sucking air through the bellow. It didn't start hitting the rev limiter on the hole shot until after 2hrs of riding. I probably should have changed it all out while I had the pump off but I thought it all still looked good.

I contacted West Side Powersports for a stock impeller and they got back to me almost instantly with a good price. I will keep them in mind for future parts.

Before I change out my impeller I am going to try the zip tie bellows trick first. Since I hit the rev limiter on the hole shot i want to confirm the new wear ring hasn't created more suction and now sucking air through the bellow. It didn't start hitting the rev limiter on the hole shot until after 2hrs of riding. I probably should have changed it all out while I had the pump off but I thought it all still looked good.

I contacted West Side Powersports for a stock impeller and they got back to me almost instantly with a good price. I will keep them in mind for future parts.

Most skis will get a little cavitation if you just nail the throttle from a stand still. A low pitched prop will make this even worse. You can't hurt trying the zip tie trick. Westside has great customer service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back