Reving out of control?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to go pre mix in my 1997 Challenger boat, 787 single engine, as per instructions, removing the oil pump and installing the block off kit, I ran into these problems #1. the plastic stem that connects to the oil pump and what ever it connects to inside the engine will not come out, I was told to just leave it and put the block off kit on the opening. I then disconnected the cable which attaches to the oil pump and let it lay in the bottom of the boat. Now, launching the boat at a marine and as soon as I put it in reverse,it reved to probably 8000 RPM and out of control, putting it in forward, same thing 8000 RPM and out of control. Does this cable from the oil pump have to come off the other end which I believe is at the carburetors to correct this condition or is something else just gone bad. Totally frustrated.

I don’t know much about premix, but I would say that the oil pump cable shouldn’t be a factor in you revving problem. Why don’t you pull the hood and tray off the boat, remove the air cleaner, climb into the engine compartment and watch what happens while an assistant actuated the shift lever.

Thanks FlyboyX for your reply, did as you suggested but couldn,t find anything wrong, so put it back in the lake and besides having to start the boat a dozen times, befor it would finally start, over and over all day long,if I gave it full throtle once started it would just take off and fly but once I slowed down, same thing,wouldn,t start until about the 12th time and just wouldn't run slow at all. So now the boat is in the driveway and starting it on the hose it just takes off on it's own at full RPM and I have the same problem the gas throtle is not doing anything but moving the gear shift forward or reverse makes it get the gas, I know this sounds impossible but that is what it is doing.I'm going to look into this rev limiter and hopefully find out some information on it. Still frustrated.

Did you cap off the brass fittings on the intake manifold? Sounds like you might have an air leak.

Just to add, there is no good reason to switch to premix on these.

Yes, you need to get the plastic oil pump drive out of the flywheel and will probably have to pull the magneto housing cover and risk throwing the engine out of alignment.

Did you cap off the brass fittings on the intake manifold? Sounds like you might have an air leak.

Just to add, there is no good reason to switch to premix on these.

Yes, you need to get the plastic oil pump drive out of the flywheel and will probably have to pull the magneto housing cover and risk throwing the engine out of alignment.
mikidymac, thank you for your reply and yes the brass fittings were actually capped off with new 3/32" hoses in the hope of one day going back to the oil injection system, which I had to go with because my oil tank split in half and I cannot find another one as of yet. This being in a challenger boat there is no room to get that plastic oil pump drive out and the magneto cover can not come off because there are 9 bolts holding it on and one for sure is behind a bracket with no access so the only way would be to pull the engine out of the boat which I am not ready to do at this time. Just to clarify, your statement above, do you mean or not and risk throwing the engine out of alignment, if so can that happen for sure because I have been told here at home that it would be ok to just leave it. So are you positive about it having to come out because now I am really confused about what to do. Not trying to put you on the spot but, you can see my confusion.
Thanks for any advice you may have.
Cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back