Reverse broken?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Jebeckman127

Hi there, I just have a very quick service question about my 2008 Sea Doo RX jet ski. Yesterday I took it on the water and when pushing down on the reverse lever (going from reverse to forward), it felt like something broke internally, and now the ski will not accelerate forward…. It only goes in reverse. In other words, reverse works, but not forward movement/acceleration. Is this a problem with the reverse shaft or something else? If I can get a better idea of what the problem is, I’ll likely bring it in for service, just wanted to get a general scope of what it might be first. Thanks so much!

I assume you have a reverse cable which controls the bucket which drops down over the pump to create reverse. It runs from the reverse handle through the hull out to the pump to the bucket. See if your bucket is down or up. If down, replace reverse cable. I did mine in a hour. But I had a different problem. My cable was so old it split and wasn't actuating the bucket for reverse. Requires a lot of bending over and acrobatics.

Take a look at the back of the ski while someone actuates the reverse handle. You could have lost the bolt or something. The cable can fail but the problem may be more simple. Good Luck !!

Back