Researching upgrades for my 89 SP. Clarification needed regarding tuned exhaust.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

redraif

I hope it put this in the right place on the forum...​
So I have a 1989 Seadoo that I want to do a bit of upgrading to over the winter. It already has a stainless prop and ride plate. We did this way back in the day when the ski was relatively new. Its the yellow motor...

I have been researching/searching and see the best thing for a bit of a power bump... yes I know its minor. But everything is used now on ebay, so the parts cost has become more reasonable. Anyway. I'm starting with the exhaust presently to gather my stash of swap on parts. (Yes I realize to fully utilize the tuned exhaust i will need a carb swap and 147 rotary valve swap as well) and i also need the short waterbox.

So on to the question. As I have not found a definitive answer in searching to clarify my question, so I want to ask. I see the magic numbers are the 274000095 & 274000094 tuned pipes. However, in some threads I simply see them say swap to the purple split pipe versus the non-split, with no mention of a specific part number. I see in researching there is a difference in the tail cone (274000095), due to the waterline it has that the others do not.

OK that makes sense, but what are the differences in the main exhaust portion. Because based on "purple split pipe" there is a version that looks identical with a different part number (274000122). Are they the same? If not what is the difference? I see some say one version is for the 580/587 and others are for the 650/657. SO the advise is that I want to swap to the 650/657 version only? Or is the 650 version the one that comes with the tail comes with extra fitting. Then I see folks say its fine as long as it is simply the split pipe that the extra fitting is not a big deal, some have it and others don't....

AHHHH.... so confused

I want to got the best performance route, but want to be frugal. it seems when folks know what they have, they are asking 100-200 for the 274000095 & 274000094 set. Apart they are going lower, but I'm finding folks list the exhaust for a pre 96 SPI, spx, gtx, but list the other part numbers for the pipe. AKA 274000122...274-000-063...274000111 Are there any differences in the 122, 063 & 111 versions versus the 094 part? or did SeaDoo just give different numbers to different years. I just want to be sure I get the right thing since I'm doing this on Ebay.

Thank you!
Shannon​

Sorry to burst your bubble but you would be throwing money away to add performance parts to that ski. It’s only a 580 and even the white 580 was better. You are asking for more problems than it’s worth so just enjoy it for the fun little ski it is.

@Matt Braley is the performance guru on those.

You are so much better off getting a second ski like an XP or SPX if you want more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back