Replacing reverse cable

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lithium2g

I need to replace the reverse cable on my 98 speedster. It snapped off at the control side.

In the interim I've had the reverse buckets zip tied up so the nozzles are always open when im in the water but obviously i'd like to fix it properly

I purchased a new cable while i was traveling through the usa 2 weeks ago but i am having trouble deciding how to proceed in replacing it.

Some people report how easy it is to do saying it only takes 30 minutes or so in here.... how to change F N D drive cable seadoo challenger

Other threads say its a PIA.

The shop manual is a bit confusing in relation to the instructions I have read in other threads of people asking similar questions.
There are no videos on youtube showing the full procedure on a 2 stroke boat so im feeling lost.

Im not sure if im required to remove the reverse buckets, i have never done that before so I'd like to avoid where possible.

Here is how I think im suppose to do it....

1. Undo the nut inside the bilge which secures the cable internally.
2. Somehow remove the plastic nut on the otherside, some people show it in half, some people say be careful not to break it...
3. Bring cable from the outside in and tape it to the old one to bring it through to the throttle levers.
4. Both ends thread onto a nut, of which you adjust to appropriate tension.

Upgrade the cable lock retaining nut reverse bucket end with a brass one
Makes sure when you pull the cable out and back if boat to catch the two cable lock halves and the rubber seal

Upgrade the cable lock retaining nut reverse bucket end with a brass one
Makes sure when you pull the cable out and back if boat to catch the two cable lock halves and the rubber seal

Will do thanks. Do I need to take the reverse buckets off? My gut says yes

The pic above shows two halves and I’ve never come across that before normally item 23 is a tubed nut

Taking off the reverse bucket gives you more room

Take the measurements the lock nuts on both ends to help you set up new cable

I don't know how to remove the nut that secures the cable to the transom. I've severed the reverse cable and used a spanner to move the big hex nut but it it just moves freely along with the plastic nut on the outside of the boat..... with the cable.... it refuses to come off.

Any advice?

Also I'm making a video of my processes so I can upload an instruction vid once I'm done

Attachments

• IMG_20191022_135211.jpg
    IMG_20191022_135211.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20191022_135256.jpg
    IMG_20191022_135256.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 21
If the metal inboard nut if floating then just pull on the cable aft from outside the boat

If nut still attached the use a vice grip pliers to hold cable on inside until nut is floating off the threads

I think the plastic nut you referring to on the outside looks like two locking halves and the nut inside tightens up the cable and pull the halves into the pump support
Hope this is understandable

I’ll try dig out the manual

I cant get the metal nut off inside the engine area.... its unthreaded a fair way and everything has become loose. the cable has absolutely shredded from me clamping it with a pliers as the nut wont spin off completely and the whole cable just spins/twists instead of unthreading the nut.

i've rethreaded it back on and off as far as it goes several times everytime spraying bolt loosener stuff with no result. this is so frustrating. not sure where to go now. cant really proceed until this nut is off.

I had another go after your last post and managed to get it off.

Thanks heaps. I was getting worried I'd break something with the amount of force I was giving it.

Thanks heaps for the ongoing advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20191023_231917.jpg
    IMG_20191023_231917.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back