Repair Quote

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JWisco

I brought my 1995 and 1996 GTXs to a local seadoo dealer to get some quotes on getting a tune up. I'm curious to know what the group thinks (attached the summary). Should I do everything on this list? While I could try to do some of the work, I'm not an engine guy and I don't have a ton of extra time. I'd like to get up and running so I can use them, but going forward I'll take on minor repairs.

Second, they said parts are going to be hard to find because they are vintage. Is there a parts supplier that people have had good luck with so I could put them in contact?

Attachments

• seadoo.jpg
    seadoo.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 98
Yeah, those carb rebuild prices are the cost of new carbs. Oil lines cost $15 in bulk, clean fuel lines........ Umm no. You can replace them for $40 and that's a little aggressive. Gosh, I can't even continue the prices are so disgusting. I get they have overhead, but to charge you that much just for oil lines to be replaced, once you remove the carbs to rebuild then you're right there at the oil lines, it's another half hour if work.

Where do you live, maybe a member is closed and can help you out and you pay them a little.

I brought my 1995 and 1996 GTXs to a local seadoo dealer to get some quotes on getting a tune up. I'm curious to know what the group thinks (attached the summary). Should I do everything on this list? While I could try to do some of the work, I'm not an engine guy and I don't have a ton of extra time. I'd like to get up and running so I can use them, but going forward I'll take on minor repairs.

Second, they said parts are going to be hard to find because they are vintage. Is there a parts supplier that people have had good luck with so I could put them in contact?

That can't be right, it's immoral to charge $3700 for 2 skis to 'clean' carbs and basically replace oil and fuel lines. Diagnosis fee? why? $375 to extract a bolt? They are quoting you major engine work level prices, but what you have is minor level work that'll be performed.

If you can't do it yourself, which I think you're way better off doing, a least get a second quote.

I live near Madison, WI. There is one more seadoo shop that I can try. Nothing is very close though.

Honestly I can't even laugh at that. That really makes me sick. Those prices are straight trying to give you the shaft. I just got done a few weeks ago rebuilding my carbs, replaced all fuel lines/oil lines, cleaned fuel tank on my 97 GTX and that all cost me less than 200.

Get the fuel tank recall done, for sure. That can avoid boom style scenarios.

I don't get why the carb cleaning is so much. I don't know what R/R Fuel lines with Carb Clean is--if it's replacing the fuel lines, it seems like a reasonable price (I was quoted $400 to replace all my fuel lines), but if it's just cleaning the fuel lines out with carb cleaner--that's not what you need--you need those old grey lines *gone*.

Honestly, I know everyone's bashing the prices, but it seems for a dealer this isn't too bad. I know it's higher than a backyard mechanic would charge...

If you're willing to do some work on your own, get a Rave gasket rebuild kit. It's like $30 for a pair, and you can rebuild the rave gaskets yourself. That's extremely simple work, and there are tons of youtube videos.

If that goes well, consider doing the fuel lines yourself too. I found that quite fun and not too hard. The old lines just pull right off, and 1/4" fuel line at Napa cost me like $30 for 25 feet.

Finally, you could save a ton of money if you pulled the carbs yourself. There are a ton of rebuild services available for under $200 per carb. If you rebuild them both yourself, it'd cost about $125 for the Mikuni kit, but it's involved, easy to strip the screws, and I don't recommend it based on your description.

Last edited:
Okay,,,it's 1 am where I am,,,and those quotes are F'n ridiculous,,(can I say that ?),,,,And I am coming out of the closet here,,,
In 99 % of my carb rebuilds on motor rebuilds,,,I rarely have to change a carb part,,,a can (or 2),,,of carb cleaner, perhaps an air gun, but not necessary,,,cleaning all your orifices,,,checking that the needle on the needle and seat for wear,,,(if the needle was worn...then the motor would run richer,,,and most seizures occur from lean fuel issues),,,check that no one has altered the jets,,,very rare,,,unless it has after market air filters,..and you really should be good to go...
For those prices, you could rebuild both those engines!

Get the fuel tank recall done, for sure. That can avoid boom style scenarios.

I don't get why the carb cleaning is so much. I don't know what R/R Fuel lines with Carb Clean is--if it's replacing the fuel lines, it seems like a reasonable price (I was quoted $400 to replace all my fuel lines), but if it's just cleaning the fuel lines out with carb cleaner--that's not what you need--you need those old grey lines *gone*.

Honestly, I know everyone's bashing the prices, but it seems for a dealer this isn't too bad. I know it's higher than a backyard mechanic would charge...

If you're willing to do some work on your own, get a Rave gasket rebuild kit. It's like $30 for a pair, and you can rebuild the rave gaskets yourself. That's extremely simple work, and there are tons of youtube videos.

If that goes well, consider doing the fuel lines yourself too. I found that quite fun and not too hard. The old lines just pull right off, and 1/4" fuel line at Napa cost me like $30 for 25 feet.

Finally, you could save a ton of money if you pulled the carbs yourself. There are a ton of rebuild services available for under $200 per carb. If you rebuild them both yourself, it'd cost about $125 for the Mikuni kit, but it's involved, easy to strip the screws, and I don't recommend it based on your description.
Sorry but 400 to replace fuel lines is robbery. I bought this kit for 60 and came with all the hoses pre cut, labeled and ready to go. Took me an hour to replace them. Kit also came with a bunch of other parts. 400 for carbs is crazy. For that price might as well just buy brand new ones. I get it that a dealer has overhead costs and has to make money to stay in business. But what is being quoted is crazy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200715-064328_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20200715-064328_eBay.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 41
Those prices are really high. As other have suggested, replacing the fuel line is probably something you can do yourself. Rebuilding carbs is delicate work, but I taught myself how to do it (making some mistakes along the way of course.) I think the real difference you're paying for is that the dealer will have some accountability for the work, and you'll have a pair of running skis afterward. Doing the work yourself would me a lot of fussing around to get the carbs tuned properly, and you'd probably need a buddy to knows what they're doing to help get you through the frustration.

Sure is wonderful being able to fix your own stuff and keep your money in your own pocket. What a blessing and also having a group of great guys to lead you and guide you. You might want to give it a try and save some coin, get frustred and pissed off while you do it but the smell of victory makes it all part of the fun. Good Luck.

Holy crap those prices are high. I used to charge $300 to do carb rebuilds and $120 of that is parts cost. Fuel lines cost about $25 and take an hour. Oil lines are super easy and quick to change once carbs are off.

I live in central wisconsin (Stevens point) and wouldn't mind helping you out... They are taking you to the cleaner with prices like that. I redid carbs on like 6 skis this year. Rebuilds with genuine mikuni parts. Fuel lines takes like an hour. I have the pop off tester and all the fun stuff to make sure they are setup right.

Feel free to PM me.

Jeremy

I live in central wisconsin (Stevens point) and wouldn't mind helping you out... They are taking you to the cleaner with prices like that. I redid carbs on like 6 skis this year. Rebuilds with genuine mikuni parts. Fuel lines takes like an hour. I have the pop off tester and all the fun stuff to make sure they are setup right.

Feel free to PM me.

Jeremy
Way to go Jeremy!!

Feel free to PM me.

Jeremy

Fuel lines took me like 4 hours. Goes to show you what experience can do. :)

Feel free to PM me.

Jeremy
Thank you, this is why I asked. We have a great community here. I hope you guys work something out!

I guess I went into the wrong field... but don’t pay them do it yourself. if you wanna pay someone to clean the carbs pay someone that’s not a shop and knows what they’re doing. fuel and oil lines are cheap and pretty easy, couple YouTube videos showing how. Same with carb kits, that’s how I learned. Not as bad as you’d think. Any questions this forum is GREAT and the people on here do really help a lot with questions.

Jake

Sounds like I should go it alone! You guys are so responsive so expect to hear from me when I break something!
Pwnage1337 specifically.

Sounds like I should go it alone! You guys are so responsive so expect to hear from me when I break something!
Pwnage1337 specifically.
This community is very responsive. I think we can all agree when I say we would rather see you work on your ski and learn about it then get taken for a ride by the repair shop. Just download the manuals and take your time. Label parts and take pictures. When in doubt ask the forum.

I'm new here but you could buy a used working seadoo for that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back