Reinventing the 97 Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Paint will stick to epoxy just fine but you have to wash the amine blush off with hot soapy water first. It’s gel coat that doesn’t stick to epoxy.

Sounds like you have a good plan.

Look into peelply. It allows you to do separate batches of epoxy and allows them to stick to each other if you can’t do it in all one layup for future projects.

Pretty much more of the same garbage that has always been going on with the glass, except now I've moved on to the epoxy final glass coats. I went ahead with one more layer of woven sheet before the top coat of chopped glass for the look. Unfortunately, it's a real mofo to work with if it's not at least 70 degrees in the shop, so that's become a real thing waiting for the shop to get warm enough when it's 25 degrees outside. While I wait for the wood stove to bring the shop temps up in the afternoons, I've completely stripped the boat of all of the stickers and remaining parts (hood, steering wheel, gauge pod, etc) and am starting to polish it up.

Before, port side
received_116031576518409.jpeg

after a quick shine to see where we're at, with rough cut only, starboard side.
received_646664306101864.jpeg

I have also begun with the upholstery work. My wife decided on the final colors.. we went with brown and black. Photos are of the backs of the jump and bow seats. with new 1.5" of foam padding covering the plastic prior to stapling down the material.

20200219_115010.jpg

I had several yards of the brown left from when I recovered the ski on my wife's GTI LE RFI, and I like the color so that's my main reason for choosing it. Little did I know that the color was discontinued through Joann's... but I can purchase more online, 25 yards at a time. Oh well.

I was kicking around doing something different with the 3 main seats, but meh. So i'm thinking of doing the back (black) inserts with pleating in red stitch.. but I don't know. I'll let her figure that out.

June 1 is coming up pretty fast, and I've been slacking a bit.

Honestly, I'd put spark motors in this thing. Reliability, silence and fuel economy would be amazing. Plus, it'd have more power than it started with as a twin 720 boat. Only issue would be the fuel pumps, as they have to be in-tank. It would probably be a tad more expensive than staying 2 stroke, but not much more based on what you described in your original post. But I bet it'd be a LOT more reliable.

Honestly, I'd put spark motors in this thing. Reliability, silence and fuel economy would be amazing. Plus, it'd have more power than it started with as a twin 720 boat. Only issue would be the fuel pumps, as they have to be in-tank. It would probably be a tad more expensive than staying 2 stroke, but not much more based on what you described in your original post. But I bet it'd be a LOT more reliable.
I have tons of 787 stuff laying around, and that swap just doesn't hold any interest to me..

Hi idoseadoo been trying to get hold of you to see how the challenger went and how the heck did ya do it I have a 1996 speedster and wanting to put a 4 tec in
Any information or pics you could share would be very much appreciated
Cheers
Jobby74

Check out my thread on it here Challenger 4tec Upgrade
Only real challenge was the fuel tank. The rest was just glass work and a bit of customizing, like wire harness, trim, sound insulation etc. Turned out awesome. I put like 150hr on her already. Getting ready to some more work on it soon in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back