Recommendations for a family four stroke ski

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdad

Long time 2-stroker, but now we are looking for a nice used 4 stroke ski. Not looking for a hot rod, but want something similar performance to a 96 gtx ski. Nice and stable for a big lake with some chop. Reliable is key. 50+ mph. Something that is fun to ride. I am very capable of working on them to get it set up, but don't want to wrench on it all the time or worry about being stranded. So what years and models? What years or models to stay away from. A low side price point. (not looking for a spark). Thanks!

Soccer Dad still riding that is so cool i would get one of those GTI 260s i thought they were nice when i saw them . I just sold my Rxtx 300 2016 this past year hurt back had to to take a hiatus from jet skiing for awhile

Long time 2-stroker, but now we are looking for a nice used 4 stroke ski. Not looking for a hot rod, but want something similar performance to a 96 gtx ski. Nice and stable for a big lake with some chop. Reliable is key. 50+ mph. Something that is fun to ride. I am very capable of working on them to get it set up, but don't want to wrench on it all the time or worry about being stranded. So what years and models? What years or models to stay away from. A low side price point. (not looking for a spark). Thanks!
i would go with a wake 155. does 58, super stable (i can stand on one side of it without it tipping), 3 modes (touring(normal), eco and sport), ski mode as well, comes with a ski pylon for tow sports, rear boarding step, NA 1503 which is super reliable, so less maintenance, super comfortable seat.

if you want more stability, a GTX 155 would be it. same motor and same features (i dont think it has a ski mode, though. dont quote me on that), though and it doesn't have the ski pylon from the factory, they have the linq system, though.

Gti or GTX or Rxt X range
155hp and up
Boarding step and ski pole can be added if not installed on a second hand one
I have a customer with a 2015 Gti Ltd with 400+ hours , engine never been opened I would think it’s because it’s not supercharged

GTI 155 or GTX 155. I assume by used you arent looking at the new skis (2018+)with linq system.

I grabbed an 06 GTX 155 last summer for cheap with light hull damage on the bow and its been a great ski. It reminds me so much of my 97 GTX, just a little bigger. I still love the 2 strokes, but that GTX and the rxpx get almost all the ride time now.

I do not know how the Jet ski market is in any of the states you guys live in but i sold my 2006 Rxp 215 for 5000 this past summer and i sold My Rxtx 2016 for 12000 and it was sold in a day of me marketing it . I think the higher end Jet skis have better resale value . I mean Soccer Dad has a real nice Gtx allready . I honestly would check the new Gtxs . All my friends that have one Love it . I know Jet skis are not supposed to have good resale value but a GTX is still king of the seadoos .

I would definitely stay with the GTX platform as they have come a long way in stability and have way better features than the GTI models.

I came off a 2001 GTX RFI and bought a 2019 GTX 230. Besides having more than double the power, the hull and new features are amazing and so much room for 3 people.

Last edited:
I would stay away from anything supercharged. The Yamahas are good too if you aren’t dead set on Seadoos.

I have a 2018 GTX155 with sound and love it. I came off a GTR215. I have to be honest I do miss the play fullness and the power of the supercharger but look for to less maintenance and overall reliability of a NA ski.
The new hulls are very stable as mentioned I can stand on one side without any issues and they are great in choppy water.

I am in the same boat as you Soccerdad. I found a 2013 GTI 130 SE for $5500 w/o trailer and was thinking of buying. I have acouple of questions. I see everyone saying the GTI 155 is the ski to buy vise the 130. Both the 155 and the 130 have the same motors correct? Should be same maintenance? What makes the motors have different horse power if they are both NA and same displacement?
ALSO! How long does a ski have to run on the hose before a code pops up. i.e. if the owner happens to delete the codes right before I show up, how long would I have to have the ski run for before the code will pop again?
ALSO! What kind of internal checks can I do on the ski to dive alittle bit deeper then normal to get a taste for the level the ski has been serviced over the years? Like check the heat exchanger or what?

Thanks for the great information! So I will start to look at GTI and GTX skis. What are the main differences? They both look to be three seaters. So the 155 is a NA motor? Looks like a lot of changes over the years. Is there a starting year that I should not look before? I know the two stroke skis had sweet model years and ones to stay away from. How many hours on a four stroke ski is too many?

Yes, 130 and 155 are the same NA engine but with a few differences. 130 has a milder cam and different tune. Since the cam is different you cant just flash the ECU with a new tune and get to 155.

In my search, i was looking for a nice 155 but all the good deals seemed to be on 130s. I talked to a few buddies who agreed I'd be a little dissapointed in the 130. I was hoping for a 2013 green/black or 2015/16 blue GTI or X because i loved those colors. I ended up with the 2005 because im a sucker for a good deal and this was $1200 with some damage on the nose from kids hitting a tree. For a ski with 105 hours, i couldnt pass it up. This winter i'm either patching the fiberglass or swapping to a 2006 hull i bought cheap with a blown 215.

Here was my purchase:
07ab64243384801398cac24271fb7647.jpg

The NA engines will run forever if properly maintained. Ive heard of many going well over 1,000 hours. There is no intercooler to worry about or supercharger, so a lot relies on physical condition, maintenance history, and the test ride.

Main differences in the GTI and GTX is the hull. GTIs are more known for a more playful hull and GTX more for stability and smoother ride. They also continue the theme from the 90s where the GTI is more basic on features with generally fewer gauges and bells & whistles. It really depends on the exact years you end up looking at as to what the actual differences are. As you get to the newer skis, the feature gap seems to become a little wider.

I have a 2012 RXT IS 260 for sale in NJ. 105 hours, supercharger rebuilt, everything works on it if interested.

Based on what you tell us ("Nice and stable for a big lake with some chop. Reliable is key. 50+ mph"), I'd get a 2008+ GTX155 - it'll ride well, get you high 50s and last forever. Don't get a supercharged ski.

Glad I found this thread !!! I may break into the 4-Stroke market if the right deal comes around. I think a GTX 155 would be fore me. When did the quit making the engines with the bad valves?? Not that I can't do a head. :)

The sodium filled valves were changed in mid-2006. To the best of my knowledge, they were only an issue in the supercharged skis, not the normally aspirated 130hp and 155hp skis

I was in a very similar boat to you (no pun intended) came from 1998 2 stroke GSX Ltd 130HP, 2 seater, used that for a number of years until I came off several years ago nearly killing myself (literally) so sold it, got lazy and bought a massage chair for a while lol... but recently bought a 2015 4 stroke GTX 155, very cool PWC overall. Super stoked with it. My mates have GTR 215's or bigger and sure they're faster and better top end, but I'm still happy with buying an all round comfortable ski with less maintenance hassles having the NA engine, still hits around 57mph top speed, put in sports for towing kids on sea biscuits - pulls a couple large teenage kids easy as, or put in touring mode if just cruising around, or throw it in economy mode and it'll top out at 37mph which is great if heading out for longer trips such as fishing etc further from home, so conserves fuel better. Learners key with numerous settings limiting max speed is great for letting my kids learn to drive without going OTT. So sure, my older 2 stroke GSX was quicker being lighter and almost similar HP, but the 4 stroke is just so practical in every aspect. Or maybe I'm just getting older ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back