Recall: Sea-Doo Spark Defective Steering Column/Handlebar

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

hfgreg

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
[h=2]Possible Defective Steering Column/Handlebar[/h]

July 15th, 2014
Re: Sea-Doo® SPARK[SUP]TM[/SUP] Watercraft - Possible defective steering column / handlebar

Dear Sea-Doo Watercraft Owner,
This notice is being sent to you in cooperation with the U.S. Coast Guard and Transport Canada and is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the Federal Boat Safety and other applicable laws. BRP is conducting a voluntary safety recall of some MY2014 Sea-Doo Watercraft models. Our records indicate that you are the owner of a potentially affected watercraft.

What is the potential problem?
The steering column / handlebar may have been incorrectly manufactured by our supplier and it may break under rough riding conditions. This could cause the operator to lose his balance and hit the personal watercraft resulting in serious injuries or even death.

What should you do?
Call an authorized BRP Sea-Doo Watercraft dealer and make an appointment to have your watercraft repaired. The dealer will perform this work at no charge to you.
As you are now aware of the details of this safety recall, if you continue to use your personal watercraft, in the above described condition, be aware of the risks described herein.

What to do if you feel this notice is an error?
This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this watercraft or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your earliest convenience.

If you have questions, need assistance, or to find the nearest authorized BRP Sea-Doo dealer:

• Visit www.sea-doo.com
  • Or call: 1-888-272-9222
    9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Eastern time Monday to Friday

Your continued satisfaction with your watercraft is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your watercraft's proper operation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
After-Sales Service Department

Official Sea-Doo Announcement: http://www.sea-doo.com/owners/safet...ible-defective-steering-column-handlebar.html

Be sure to take your Spark in to your dealer. Much better to be safe than sorry.

Great to see Sea-Doo step up to the plate and deliver a fix for their customers. A local dealer here already has 24 kits in the mail for their first batch with I'm sure more to come.

What is the fix? Updated parts or just replacement with bars from the same supplier ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are not all bad, so I doubt they are any different design. I have an early ibr HO and have been told mine is not in the recall. It must have been a bad batch.

Huh, has anyone narrowed it down to at least a certain month, if not a serial number range that needs replacement? I know this is pretty recent, so it may take a little time to determine this.

Huh, has anyone narrowed it down to at least a certain month, if not a serial number range that needs replacement? I know this is pretty recent, so it may take a little time to determine this.

Call your dealer with your HIN and they will let you know if you are affected. There is a certain range.

Went to my dealer yesterday and he said he had ordered the parts. He didn't know when they would be in but he hoped next week. Saw on another forum that someone said that Seadoo was shipping out 2000 kits next week. (take that with a grain of salt :)

My dealer told me today that he found out yesterday and does not have the list of HIN yet. He says he will review list and will call as soon as he gets it to notify whether mine are on the list or not.

Today, my local dealer said, they would not be getting replacement column/handlebars until sometime in August. Then, it is a first come/first serve basis, so I am dead in the water. Have a ski, but can not ride it.

Today, my local dealer said, they would not be getting replacement column/handlebars until sometime in August. Then, it is a first come/first serve basis, so I am dead in the water. Have a ski, but can not ride it.

Thats actually sooner than I expected.. Sucks that this happens in prime season though.

the real issue is, they were told BRP is only sending "dealers" 3 replacements to accomudate all dealers, until their supplier can mass produce the part. I am not sure if I am going to finish out the season. I will be lucky if I can get this fixed by seasons end.

I received my 2 letters yesterday. I called a dealer near me and they said they have to order the parts. I called BRP and they said they haven't sent any kits out yet (they are back-ordered) and we're not supposed to ride them until they are fixed.

I'm going to ride mine anyway because I have no idea when they'll get the parts to fix them.

the real issue is, they were told BRP is only sending "dealers" 3 replacements to accomudate all dealers, until their supplier can mass produce the part. I am not sure if I am going to finish out the season. I will be lucky if I can get this fixed by seasons end.

This is what happened with Me! The dealer had 2 Sparks that needed the Recall to sell and they called me (Long Time Friend) to come in and get the 3rd replacement Column.

I received my 2 letters yesterday. I called a dealer near me and they said they have to order the parts. I called BRP and they said they haven't sent any kits out yet (they are back-ordered) and we're not supposed to ride them until they are fixed.

I'm going to ride mine anyway because I have no idea when they'll get the parts to fix them.

I will also continue to ride mine, I have barely put 6 hours on it so far and will keep going when I have time to do so.

Any luck on getting your column/handlebar replaced?? Just checking to see if BRP has started to ship the part.

Got both of my skis updated yesterday. Takes about an hour per ski to replace handlebars

Just by pure luck, My wife called a local dealer and they happen to have a replacement handlebar in stock, but they first told my wife, "there is a waiting list", then the service manager got on the phone ad told my wife; if you can get it here today, they will replace the handlebar.

In checking my VIN, it came back as having 3 recalls.
1. Handlebar
2. Engine Strap
3. Engine Access Cover

The dealer fixed all 3 in under an hour.

Good to hear some of you are getting the needed fix so quickly. :cheers:

Did everyone get their Sparks fixed. How did BRP do in the long run?

Waited about three weeks after the recall letter for the dealer to get the parts which i think was acceptable. Dealer handled repairs on both units and fit to my schedule. Overall I say very good by BRP and my dealer.

It took my local BRP dealer only an hour to do it, and only 15 minutes on the phone (customers ahead of me). Anyways, I was still able to continue my day just as normal.

Back