Rebuilding a carb 787 - problem with RV seals

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Charlie_gtx

Hello everyone,

I'm rebuilding the engine of my 1997 Seadoo GTX. I've installed a rebuilt crankshaft, as well as the rotary valve shaft and the balance shaft. I sealed the engine block with Loctite 518, following all the instructions in the manual.

The problem is that before installing the cylinders, I tried plugging one of the oil inlets to the rotary valve shaft and blowing air through the other inlet using my lungs and I can hear air escaping through one of the cylinders.

I believe that if I finish assembling the engine and perform a leak test, the result should be ok if the rest of the gaskets are in good condition. However, I think I might have an oil leak from one of the internal crankshaft seals.

Is the test I'm doing correct? Is there anything else I can do apart from opening the engine again?

Thank you and greetings from Spain

The problem has been solved. One of the seals didn't seat properly.

Now the engine is fully assembled, and the leak test is okay, but I have an issue with the rotary valve.

I know it should be at 147 and 65 degrees, but the closest I can get is 143.5 and 67.5 degrees.

If I turn the valve, the results get worse.

The manual states a tolerance of ±5 degrees.

Are my current values acceptable?

Also, I have located the TDC (top dead center) using a dial indicator.

Thank you!

Back