Reading key problem. HELP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
With only one key it is harder to diagnose so a second key is a always good thing to have. The local tech here told me has seen some keys losing programming. That's why I suggested a second key in a previous post. However, when DESS posts start to go bad they seem to start malfunctioning gradually (I have seen a few cases like this here). Mine definitely went bad gradually. At first the ski would stop suddenly. I would reconnect the key and it would work. After a few days, it would not read the key (long beep) and sometimes it would (I had to play with it). It eventually went from bad to worse until the ski became unusable (within two weeks).
Thank you. It has gotten progressively worse and I do have multiple keys and neither are able to read and start the ski. I get one short beep while it's trying to read the key and the last two times I haven't even been able to get it to read at all. At first it took a few mins but would eventually read the key and always ran great.

I've read the entire thread and the thing that bothers me is the fact that the machine EVENTUALLY recognizes your Key(s). In my brain...this tells me that the DESS post is working, the key is working....its the SKI that is "not recognizing the key immediately".

Have you considered taking the ski and the keys to the dealer and having them wiped out of the ski's memory and having them re-programmed? My dealer charges me $15.00 to re-program a key (and he did 3 for me all at once for the same machine for $15.00....I love my dealer, he is fair/honest and reliable.)

Just a thought!?
That is the most frustrating part!! I have two keys and it would usually work eventually but has gotten worse being the last two times I didn't even go out

So I have contacted basically every local dealer and none of them sell the post by itsself. I'm going to go for the wiring harness as it's happening to both keys so they couldn't have both lost programming. Has anyone in here changed the harness in the handlebars? Is it just a matter of mounting the harness and plugging in to the the throttle brake and gauges? Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's on a floating dock and I would like to do the work there if possible.

The harness doesn't have connectors on it so from what I understand, you may have some wire cutting to do. Lots of screws, not sure you want to do that close to water.

Wiggle it around! Like a lot... Mine does this but after wiggling it around it establishes a connection and will read as a normal key in less than 5 seconds.

So seems like my only option is to haul it out and either cut wires and do it myself or take it to the dealer. My first ski so I'm not familiar with how much they would charge to diagnose and repair what seems to be the dess post

At this point, I think you have nothing to lose. I wish I had experience with your more recent model but the handle bar can be removed for sure (I am still a bit surprised that you are having this issue on a 2014 model though). Don't go crazy about cutting wires but make very sure that your job is waterproof, use some shrinks and even better if you can lead solder the wires (I didn't). You will not harm anything (keys, computer, etc.). Make sure you do the job out of water or make very certain that you can't lose some of these tiny washers.

Good luck (I too didn't have any experience when I did my 2003). From this point on, you are on your own.

At this point, I think you have nothing to lose. I wish I had experience with your more recent model but the handle bar can be removed for sure (I am still a bit surprised that you are having this issue on a 2014 model though). Don't go crazy about cutting wires but make very sure that your job is waterproof, use some shrinks and even better if you can lead solder the wires (I didn't). You will not harm anything (keys, computer, etc.). Make sure you do the job out of water or make very certain that you can't lose some of these tiny washers.

Good luck (I too didn't have any experience when I did my 2003). From this point on, you are on your own.

I replaced the post today and it read the key right away! Just spliced in the new post and put some shrink covers on it. Thanks for the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back