Question about winterizing...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

PayVay

Hello all, it's been a while. Weather sucked here so I've just been able to do 20 hours on my brand new boat and now it's time to think about winterizing it already...

So the question is: Can I do it by myself or it's to complicated and I must go to a retailer?

Thank you

You can do it yourself, but if you are under warranty I would advise against it. Get it done at your dealership until you are out of warranty, then start doing it yourself!

Matt

Winterizing?

I don't think winterizing is covered in the warranty. I dont know that his boat is under warranty. He lists the boat without the year, so it could be a couple years old.

I just put together this thread on what to look for when winterizing, go give it a look, maybe it will help you decide whether you can do it or not.

The thread is really overkill. All you truly need to do is check the antifreeze and add some to your open loop system, at the exhaust pipe.......:cheers:

I don't think winterizing is covered in the warranty. I dont know that his boat is under warranty. He lists the boat without the year, so it could be a couple years old.

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear....I was just saying that if the Seadoo is still under warranty getting it winterized at the dealer is probably the best bet. This way if something goes wrong, the dealer can't say....well you didn't get it winterized here and if you had it done properly (whatever is wrong) would not have gone wrong. It's just a good CYA strategy incase something goes wrong....similar to waiting until you are out of warranty to do your own oil changes! Just something to think about!

Matt

i have a ? about winterizing but did not want to start a new thread. i live in va i dont think it gets too cold but do i need to do this to my boat. it is kept in a garage at my house.
tia
ryan

If it gets close to freezing within your garage winterizing would be the way to go. If this only happens a few times....compare the cost of heating your to about 10C (50F) just to be safe!

It's Always best to err on the side of caution. If it were my boat and my garage wasn't reliably heated I would winterize...if it goes below freezing for long enough (just one night when your heater decided to crap out on you) you could cause a considereable amount of damage....esp since you have a SCIC model.

Just my two cents!!

Matt

Keep in mind that quite a bit of what you do when winterizing your boat has nothing to do with freezing. A lot is done to protect against any rusting and such that may occur when your boat sits for a long period of time. Of the two hours I spent winterizing my boat recently only about 5 minutes was to protect against freezing (putting antifreeze in the exhaust manifold). The rest should be done even if you don't experience any freezing where you store your boat.

Garage kept........

I agree with Gerapau, but I don't winterize at all. I live on the Gulf Coast of Alabama and if it freezes, it's only once or twice a year.

But to keep moisture from building on the inside of my engine block, I start it reqularly through the winter months.

If your not going to run it through the winter, it would be a good idea to just take out the plugs, pour about a teaspoon of your 2 cycle oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over a couple times. You should do that once every two or three weeks. Fogging isn't really necessary but will give you better protection.

Winterize

My SeaDoo manual recommends clamping four hoses during the initial adding of 50/50 antifreeze. Any good ideas on what to use to clamp hoses. I can't seem to find the clamps that they show in the manual. Thanks:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back