Question about the floor mat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerstec

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well. So, I have a question. I have a 97 Seadoo gsx and my floor mats/ traction mats are popping up. I noticed that the mats are held in place by rivets. Well a whole bunch of rivets have popped out and I can see that the hole the rivets go into actually go into the hull. I also noticed that when a rivet is missing water actually gets into my hull via those empty rivet holes. So here's my question. I'd like to replace the mats (mine are in terrible condition) and I found a really nice alternative by the company called SBT. Instead of rivets they use an adhesive to hold them in place. I'm wondering, can I buy and use these mats? I plan on sealing the holes so there will be no leak path.

As you can tell I'm not really familiar with this so I figured I'd ask you guys here on this forum because in the past you've shared so much knowledge with me.

I just want to say thank you in advance for any answers. I really appreciate it!

Yip, i have experuenced "baconing" with the stock mats. SBT sells the black tip mats, nice for the money and they come with 3M Adhesive which works just fine. My personal favor is cut groove black.

seal up the holes before you install but do not use silicone.

Go to walmart and get a can of Bondo Glass. It is a fiberglass putty and once the old mats are off you can drill out and then push the remaining rivet into the hull then mix up a small amount of the Bondo glass. I apply it with a razor blade then once it starts to set and isn't fully hard you can scrape off the excess then wait for it to fully cure. No sanding or mess. The clean everything with acetone.

For the mats I prefer the Hydroturf over the SBT because it is a little higher quality and softer on the feet. You can get it from PWC Muscle here [MENTION=2]hfgreg[/MENTION] for a discount and the 3M adhesive already applied.

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well. So, I have a question. I have a 97 Seadoo gsx and my floor mats/ traction mats are popping up. I noticed that the mats are held in place by rivets. Well a whole bunch of rivets have popped out and I can see that the hole the rivets go into actually go into the hull. I also noticed that when a rivet is missing water actually gets into my hull via those empty rivet holes. So here's my question. I'd like to replace the mats (mine are in terrible condition) and I found a really nice alternative by the company called SBT. Instead of rivets they use an adhesive to hold them in place. I'm wondering, can I buy and use these mats? I plan on sealing the holes so there will be no leak path.

As you can tell I'm not really familiar with this so I figured I'd ask you guys here on this forum because in the past you've shared so much knowledge with me.

I just want to say thank you in advance for any answers. I really appreciate it!

Check out the hydro turf mats, they are really nice as well! You will have to drill out the remaining rivets, fill the holes with some sealant and then clean the floor real good "I like to use 70/30 alcohol/water to prep the surface" and then apply the new mats. Definitely buy the mats with 3m adhesive backing, applying your own glue is a mess.

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago and love them.

Ninja edit: ^^ he beat me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back