Question about jumping another boat on the water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the lake today and a family in a 20+ foot Crownline waved me over for help. They said their battery was dead and wanted me to let them jump it with jumper cables.

I had to have a voltage regulator changed 2 years ago, and I have also read that we should not jump our boats or use a jumpbox due to the computer, but I was not sure about jumping another boat. I knew I had a jumpbox in my truck that I use to inflate my rafts and it was only a few miles away, so I told him I would grab that for him.

On our way back to the dock it started raining hard so I got my family off the water and grabbed the jumpbox to help out. At this point it was a major downpour but I made it back to the stranded boat. The guy had a full camper canvas, so they seemed better off than me.

The jumpbox worked on his boat and just as I got my gear back it really let loose and started to hail! I feel like a was pressure washed.

Anyways, if I was not near my truck with a jumpbox, is it acceptable to jump a boat on the water? I have a double battery setup so if it can be done, what is the best way to do it to avoid any potential damage to my electrical system.

I was glad to help someone out and it was an adventure, but I would like to know the facts for the future.

Thanks,
Brian

It's up to you. The Merc computers aren't as sensitive as the "Seadoo/Rotax" computers.

BUT... unless you have 50' cables... it's not easy to do. (boat to boat, in the water) Since you have a double battery... I would jump someone from your aux battery, while the switch is off, or on batt 1. That way... if they have a short... it won't mess you up.

I've been wanting to get down to the point... but with the crap weather... I've been avoiding it.

Was this today? I heard some thunder at my house (Irwin) but never got a drop.

This was 7/3/13 at the Yough Dam.

This weather is killing me. Same forecast every day.

Keep my boat in the mountains until September but I plan to take it to Pittsburgh after that. Who knows maybe park ouside of PNC during a late season Pirates game.

Have a good 4th of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back